Dataton Forum

Blackmagic Quad hdmi does not work on Watchout

I have PC ( Asus X99 E WS motherboard) with a Blackmagic Quad hdmi capture card.and Decklink 4k SDI recorder. In blackmagic Media express it shows all the inputs but in watchout 6.6.1, live input it does not show up. 

Can anybody help me with this problem.

Black Magic Media Express uses a proprietary Black Magic driver. WATCHOUT requires a generic Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver. BMD Media Express confirms the physical connection for WATCHOUT, it does NOT confirm the drivers required for WATCHOUT. BMD WDM drivers are notoriously difficult to get right, most experienced users avoid BMD for this reason.

@johnyjohn yes Magewell makes a great line of products that are primarily "plug and play". If you are not using the WIN 10 OS on your machine, I am not sure how the new driver sets from Magewell will work.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, artboy said:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/software

As you can see from the link, the decklink family supports WDM drivers.

In fact, I have used it normally in WO with Intensity Pro and SDI capture card.

Agreed, it is possible to make the BlackMagic Design WDM driver work. That said, the BMD WDM driver is idiosyncratic. A customer reported they were able to successfully get it to work, but it took significant hours of research, trial and error. Windows build, driver version number, and something they chose not to divulge were needed to tweak their system to function properly with a BMD card. On later servers that customer abandoned BlackMagic Design and switched to Magewell capture cards.

Double-check that the correct device is selected in the watchpoint settings.

Yes, if I recall correctly, there are two entries for each output and with some driver versions the one that looks correct isn't.

Also try changing the live input signal setting to a different type in the watchmaker.

And that is another area BMD is sensitive. Different interpretations of standards can confuse (for example, 1080i 30 frames per second may appear as 1080i 60 fields per second or vice versa).

With some other vendors cards, the card ignores the WATCHOUT input signal type setting and automatically adapts to the input signal type making them easier to work with.

-------------------
Caveat emptor, ymmv
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had trouble getting my Blackmagic Decklink SDI 4k card working. It worked fine in Blackmagic Express, but nothing showed up in WO. I finally got it working by changing 'Digital Video Standard' to 'Custom Video' when double clicking on the input in the media window.

Good luck

20200914_123143.jpg

• 4 weeks later...