Support for HAP codec & hardware accelerated decoding

Floris

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone has experience using HAP as a codec within Watchout, particularly if hardware accelerated decoding is supported?

I've noticed this on the Watchout 6 features page and the codec itself looks very promising. Although I see the limitations in hardware accelerated decoding, it could be very useful for some projects where primary considerations are a high / lossless bitrate and excellent performance.

Experiences anyone?

Floris

Hap is based on the DXT1 and DXT5 texture formats, which are decoded directly in the GPU when using HAP in Watchout.

For better compression, an additional stage of compression is usually added (snappy), which is decoded in the CPU. The snappy algorithm is very fast at decompressing, so CPU load is not an issue here.

/Erik

Thanks Erik! That makes HAP a very promising codec it seems. Am I correct to say that this is currently the only codec that has GPU acceleration in Watchout?

I'm currently on a project where we're running into CPU capacity issues with MPEG2 at 2x Ultra HD resolution. I'll report back with my findings.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to quickly share some results from a few hours of testing.

Observe this GPU load graph from our display computer:

6SizrxC.png?1

The first half of this graph is a video being played in H264, at 40mbps (encoded with ffmpeg, -fastdecode flag used), this does not play smoothly. The second half of this graph is a HAP video being played completely smoothly on the same system, at bitrate 1404mbps (a result of the peculiar resolutions and high framerate used).

The video used for this test is a converted version of Big Buck Bunny, which can be downloaded natively in 60fps at resolution 4000x2250 here: http://bbb3d.renderfarming.net/download.html

Does anyone know a good piece of software to log CPU load in a similar fashion?

• Dataton Partner

Nice work Floris. Thanks for this update!

Keep up the good work!

Hi guys,

6SizrxC.png?1

The first half of this graph is a video being played in H264, at 40mbps (encoded with ffmpeg, -fastdecode flag used), this does not play smoothly. The second half of this graph is a HAP video being played completely smoothly on the same system, at bitrate 1404mbps (a result of the peculiar resolutions and high framerate used).

The video used for this test is a converted version of Big Buck Bunny, which can be downloaded natively in 60fps at resolution 4000x2250 here: http://bbb3d.renderfarming.net/download.html

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

6SizrxC.png?1

The video used for this test is a converted version of Big Buck Bunny, which can be downloaded natively in 60fps at resolution 4000x2250 here: http://bbb3d.renderfarming.net/download.html

I was wondering what software you used to come up with this log?