Dataton Forum

Rated media servers question?

Hi Dave,

Cheers from Singapore!

I'll focus on WatchOut only and here are some of my thoughts on it:

• Workflow : the steps from setting up to running a show is simple which mean you can focus on the most important thing, that is your show itself.
  • Reliability — I've been using WatchOut for over decade now, mostly in fixed installation. Throughout the year, many features got added in slow but deliberate manner. Eg: the major version upgrade from v4 to v5 which raise the per machine output from 1 to 6. For me personally, looking at the clean and compact files in WatchOut installation folder is the hallmark of simplicity and stability. All these while, I get a sense that the dev are putting in the additional necessary features but still prioritizing the stability that I greatly appreciate.
  • Pricing : it's affordable that most of the newer brands. Cheaper if you've been using it for a while and started to accumulate the knowledge on how to custom built your own server.

That's 3 points from someone who mostly focus on fixed installation eg: museum, gallery and experience center. I hope you'll get more thoughts from others with a more diverse background such as events, church, etc.

Best regards,

Eddy
Omnigram