Display Freezing

Jeff Glass

Hello all,

Apologies for two-threads-in-one-night, I figured it would be better to start fresh since the other issue I posted about seems to be resolved. 

The new issue is: about 15-25 seconds into playback, the display output will freeze. I first noticed this with a 1080p file, but it seems to happen independent of video file size (also happens with a 7MB 720P loop). Pausing playback on the production computer jumps the display forward to the appropriate place in the timeline - playing again from there gives another 15-25 seconds of playback before freezing again.

Watchout version is 5.5.2.

Hardware includes:

• Intel Core i7-6700K 4Ghz Quad-Core Processor
  • MSI Z270-A Pro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • G.Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4-3200 Memory
  • Samsung 860 Evo 500GB Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)
  • Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 SSD (Watchout/Data Drive)
  • Radeon Pro WX 7100 Video Card
  • Windows 7 Professional OEM SP1

All drivers are updated using as per Windows update; I have been through the Windows 7 Tweaking List as well. Pagefile is currently set at 32GB, but setting it to 0 GB causes no change in symptoms. I have uninstalled any OEM programs I can find.

The Display Computer has a static IP address, as does the production computer. Both are on the same subnet, both have their firewalls turned off. For testing, the network consists only of the two computers connected to the same un-managed switch. I can ping each computer from the other.

The freezes seem to be correlated with a sudden spike in processor usage (up to %40 from a baseline of %10 or so) and hard-drive read (up to 40 MBps).

To me, this sounds similar to this issue and this issue, but neither have a resolution posted on the forums.

What am I missing, y'all? What should I try next?

Difficult to troubleshoot this. I would start with re-encoding the file to a lower bit-rate. If this works then try a higher one until you reach a point when it freezes again. This means the i7 cpu 6700K has reached its limit.

Alternative may lie in the observation clues you made -

1. Pausing playback on the production computer jumps the display forward to the appropriate place in the timeline - playing again from there gives another 15-25 seconds of playback before freezing again;

2. The freezes seem to be correlated with a sudden spike in processor usage (up to %40 from a baseline of %10 or so) and hard-drive read (up to 40 MBps).

Seems to be some caching going on here, and catching up when timeline is paused, and then continued from pause mode.

Search for Zochri's post re tweaking the BIOS concerning disabling some speed shifting tech. Think they are:

Disable CPU C State Support

Disable C1E Support

Disable BCLK Spread Spectrum

Disable Package C State Support

Disable Intel Speedshift Technology

Basically you want the Display Pc's cpu to run at full 100% speed (whether baseline or factory Turbo mode) all the time. There is also a setting for this in your Hardware Power Options - default being 5%. You want it at 100%.

Then monitor the Display PC as it plays for Thermal Throttling of the cpu and other clues. I use HWINFO64 version 5.30 onwards which allows one to monitor many parameters of another PC on the network. It seems like you are using the same or similar software to get the info you got.

Good luck!

Thomas Leong