WO5 Using pre-split video files by output rather than display

matkeane

Hi,

A recent show involved 3 separate screens, each made up of 2 overlapping HD displays. The project ran with 3 player machines, each using 2 outputs to feed each pair of displays. Some of the media had been pre-split to spread across the 6 displays, and naming the .m2v files 'display 1' through 'display 6' worked fine, as usual.

However, some of the media had been created for a single screen (pair of displays), but the client wanted to repeat the clip on the other two screens. Of course, media files named 'display 1' or 'display 2' weren't recognized on displays on the second and third player. So, my question is, is it possible to re-use pre-split files without duplicating and renaming the files? If, for example, Watchout recognized 'Output 1.m2v' and 'Output 2.m2v', the same video proxy could be shown on other displays. In my quick experiments, this didn't seem to be possible though.

In a forum post a while ago (http://forum.dataton.com/topic/931-video-freeze-up/?do=findComment&comment=3597) it was suggested that it was still advantageous to use pre-split video files on multi-output players, so I just wondered if it was possible to manage the files by output ID rather than display ID. I guess the recent project may not be a common scenario, but I think it would be useful to be able to reuse media across players without necessarily having to duplicate/rename files.

Thanks,

Matthew