Pause Timeline with Free Running Video

Steve Farris

I have been struggling with some playback issues on multi-head computers when trying to play multiple streams of video and wonder if anyone else has seen these issues.

I am using 3 outputs per machine (see machine specs below). If I put different videos on each display, then set them to free run and pause the timeline, the video will stop at the pause, then catch back up. It looks like I did an update to the stage. Likewise, if I do a jump to time (i.e. search to a control cue), it takes a long time for the videos to track (a good 4 or 5 seconds). If I am in a video and try to scrub along the timeline, it does not track very well. If I reduce the number of outputs to two, the problems go away. It's strange because these computers should have no problem playing the video, I have tested them to be able to play 10 streams at the same time. The problem seems to be how I start and stop the videos. If I am very careful and massage the timeline properly I can make things work. There are just certain operations I have to avoid. I have run a performance monitor on the displays and have lots of headroom left on CPU, disk, and network. So it doesn't seem to be an issue of stressing the computer. Incidentally, when I use my very old computers that can barely play one stream of HD (one output per machine), the above issues go away.

Another interesting tidbit is that the biggest problems happen on screen 1 of computer 2. That is the screen most likely to lock up.

I am interested in knowing if anyone has seen this behavior, if so did you find a workaround, or am I in my own little world that no-one else sees?

Machine specs:

Shuttle SH6763

Intel Core i5-2500 @3.3Gz w/ 3.7GHz Turbo Boost

8GB DDR3-1333 Dual channel RAM

AMD HD6850 1GB

WD Caviar Blue 500GB System Drive

WD Caviar Black 500GB Watchout Drive (32K Clusters)

LG DVDRW

Windows 7 Home Premium – 64 Bit

Acronis True Image 2011

Videos are Mpeg 2, program stream, 30 mbps CBR, closed GOP of 1, all I frames, made in Procoder 3.