MOTU and Windows 7

James Hanrahan

After beating my head against the wall for two days I found out today that the drivers for the MOTU 828 do not play well with Watchout 4.3 under Windows 7. We have a six channel file in the WAV format that has always worked before with WO and MOTU.

It would play fine on Windows Media Player on the display machine (all six channels), but no combination of driver and sound card preferences could get the same file to play on the same machine in Watchout.

My understanding is that testing is currently underway with the drivers.

I wish I would have known that two days ago.

On a related note, the drivers for the MOTU firewire interface will not load unless you switch the firewire driver to the "legacy" driver. Instructions follow. Is there any notation of this on the MOTU website? No.

Below are the step by step instructions on how to install the Legacy driver so you won‘t have any problems either:

Click Start

Then click on Control Panel

Click on Device Manager

- Note: If you don’t see Device Manager listed, click on View By: Category on the top right side of the Control Panel Window. 

Then Click on Large Icons

You should now have a list of items in the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.

Under the Device Manager, look down the list for IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers and Double Click on it.

It should display something like - 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

- Note: If it has the word (Legacy) behind it, you are already setup and you can just exit out.

Next, double click on the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

A window will popup saying 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller Properties

Click on the Driver Tab

Then look down in the window and click on Update Driver

Then select - Browse my computer for driver software

Next select - Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer It will bring up a list of drivers.

Click on 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)

- NOTE: It is important that you select the one with (Legacy) after it, just like shown above.

Then click Next

Once it installs the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy),

it will say Windows has successfully updated your driver software.

Click on the Close button and exit out of all of the other windows.

Then Reboot your computer.

Edited by Jonas Dannert