Composite Live Video Problem in Watchout 4.5.1

Joel Limin

Hello, I need some help regarding on adding a Live Video using composite signal. We had an event last week in Riyadh and it was the first time I encountered this type of problem. The Camera guy gave me an output (Live video) in Composite signal, when I put it on the watchout, it didn't work. I already tried all the video standards from the settings, but still no live camera output coming from the watchout.

So the camera guy decided to use a converter (composite to SDI) just to give us an output. Well, it worked, but the quality is not good, the only video standards that are working are the PALs. (I used to set the video standard to 1080i 25 or 1080p 25 for SDI signal, but it didn't work during that time)

Does the Watchout 4.5.1 having a problem when accepting a composite signal? Can you give me some tips or advise on how to fix and prevent this for happening again? thank you very much in advance

I doubt this is an issue with 4.5.1 or the version of WATCHOUT.

This should work, normally.

A composite video signal IS only PAL or NTSC, no HD video settings apply here.

If converted to SDI (not HDSDI or 3G-SDI), it's still the same interlaced signal.

Only setting for these signals in WATCHOUT are de-interlacing on/off.

1080i25 or 1080p25 settings should normally not be used.

You are not talking about a component signal?

What card/driver version are you using?

Is this card capable of SD video input?

/jonas

...when I put it on the watchout, it didn't work...

Need to clear some facts -

1. Did the camera feed Watchout Production PC or Display PC(s)?

2. If the camera was fed to WO Production PC, was it ALSO connected, using a video distributor amp, to the Display PC(s)?

3. What was the error message, if any, from Watchout when you tried to insert the Live Video Input itto the Timeline or Aux Timeline?

WO Production does not output live video per se. Live Video Input is not a file which the Production PC can send to the Display PC(s). The Production PC accepts live video inputs, organizes it, and instructs the Display PCs where, when and how to display the live feed. Thereafter, it is up to the Display PCs to obtain their own live video inputs and display it according to the instructions from the Production PC.

If the capture card in the Production PC can accept composite video inputs, there is no reason why WO Production PC cannot see it. It would help if you can provide info on your capture card(s) and the driver used (VfW - Video for Windows, or WDM - Windows Driver Model), and Operating System - Win XP, 7, ??)

Thomas Leong

• 1 month later...

Joel Limin, on 19 Aug 2013 - 13:49, said:

Sir Jonas,

Thank you for that wonderful information.

I am not talking about the component signal Sir. We are using BLACKMAGIC SDI Capture cards. I believe it is capable of SD video input.

Joel,

your topic name is "Composite Live Video Problem in Watchout 4.5.1", composite (and component) is analog video signals.

If it's a SD (Standard Definition, PAL/NTSC) signal, delivered as SDI, PAL or NTSC settings in WATCHOUT,

are the ones to use, not HD settings.

Converting a composite SD signal into a digital SD signal (SDI) will always depend on the quality of the

source signal and the converter used. Picture quality will not improve this way and delay will increase,

but it might solve the problem on site.

Blackmagic SDI card supports SD video, from BMD website:

SD Format Support

625/25 PAL, 525/29.97 NTSC and 525/23.98 NTSC.

/jonas

• 2 weeks later...

Joel,

your topic name is "Composite Live Video Problem in Watchout 4.5.1", composite (and component) is analog video signals.

If it's a SD (Standard Definition, PAL/NTSC) signal, delivered as SDI, PAL or NTSC settings in WATCHOUT,

are the ones to use, not HD settings.

Converting a composite SD signal into a digital SD signal (SDI) will always depend on the quality of the

source signal and the converter used. Picture quality will not improve this way and delay will increase,

but it might solve the problem on site.

Blackmagic SDI card supports SD video, from BMD website:

SD Format Support

625/25 PAL, 525/29.97 NTSC and 525/23.98 NTSC.

/jonas

Thank you Sir jonas. This really help me a lot.. God bless