window tweak list - indexing and page file size

suhyuncho

Hello everyone, I first thank you all who have shared valuable information in the forum. I have tried to build my own watchout system following the information from the forums. It seemed going pretty well until I worked on the window tweak list. There were two things that I was confused about. One was about "delete places" in indexing option. I couldn't understand what to do with it. another thing I wasn't sure about was page file size. It requires to double the RAM. Does it mean I should adjust the custom size up to 64gb for both initial and maximum size if my RAM is 32gb? I would really appreciate if any of you make time to advice me how to solve those problems. I'm looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks

No one else answering? Here's my 2 cents -

Q1: "One was about "delete places" in indexing option."

A: Sorry, can't understand you on this. Please explain again. There is no 'delete places' in Windows. There is, however, an indexing option in the Properties of the drive. The recommendation is to un-enable/un-tick indexing, presumably to stop background work (indexing) while the drive is being used for Watchout.

Q2: "...another thing I wasn't sure about was page file size. It requires to double the RAM..."

A: If you are using a traditional spinning drive for OS and/or Watchout, then follow the recommendation in the Tweak list.

On the other hand, if you are using a SSD for OS and/or Watchout, I have personally been following the recommendations here: http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-ultimate-windows-8-edition/#comment-22098

and dis-abled any paging file on all my computers (laptops and desktops) that use a SSD for the OS. Have not had any problems without a pagefile at all.

Thomas Leong

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Q1: "One was about "delete places" in indexing option."

A: Sorry, can't understand you on this. Please explain again. There is no 'delete places' in Windows.

There is actually a place in "Control Panel/Indexing Options/Click the Modify button/Indexed Locations"

Here one can un-check selected locations to index, also.

Re: Q2: "...another thing I wasn't sure about was page file size. It requires to double the RAM..."

I totally agree with Thomas here, the Tweaklist are a bit dated in this regard... ;-)

/jonas