NDI on WatchPax

martymcgee

I have been working with various video inputs using NDI.  I have 2 NewTek "Connect Spark" boxes which input HDMI and output NDI to the network. These seem to work fine for any source going to my Watchout rack computers.  However when I try to output the signal to any of the WatchPax units, no image comes through.  I have also created content on an external computer and used the NDI Scan Converter app to send web browser windows and movies. The content created with the Scan Converter displays through the WatchPax units without any problem.

Has anyone else out there tried using these boxes with WatchPax?

https://www.newtek.com/connect/spark/

Thanks

Marty

Which Watchpax and Watchout version are you using? 

The NewTek spark sends NDI|HX which is quite different from the NDI streams sent from the Scan Converter (and similar tools). NDI|HX is more highly compressed, and is not all I-frames as regular NDI is. NDI|HX needs a driver to be installed on the display computer, which is done as part of the upgrade process i Watchpax. (When installing on other computers the NDI|HX driver install is optional). Watchout 6.2.1 contains an updated NDI|HX drivers, that solves some issues with the driver supplied with WO 6.2.

Is the Spark configured to sent Multicast? If so, I would recommend turning Multicast off and see if that makes any difference. 

/Erik

Erik

Thanks so much for your help. Multicast was turned on for the Spark boxes so I disabled it but we still couldn't see the outputs on the WatchPax. We are now in show mode and won't be changing anything for a few days but when I have some time next week, I will pull the WatchPax down and try to install the HX driver on them.  

When I upgraded the production machine to 6.2.1 I simply went online with the WatchPax and let Watchout send the new software over the network. I would imagine that this method would not install the HX drivers so I think I will attempt to install 6.2.1 directly on the WatchPax using a USB thumb drive. Do you see any problem with trying that?

What other methods are there for setting up the WatchPax?

Anyway I'll give it a shot and report back on my success or lack of it ;-)

Thanks again

Marty

Hello!

The NDI HX driver should be automatically installed on the display watchpaxes when upgrading by going online in the production software. However, this assumes that the NDI HX driver checkbox in the Watchout installer was checked when installing/upgrading Watchout on the production computer. 

When trying to display NDI HX content (from the Spark) on the Watchpax display computer, what did you get? Just a black screen or a screen saying that you need to install the NDI HX driver with a link to NewTek?

/Erik