Watchout splash screen appears spontaneously

jeanluc

Hello,

Yesterday in the middle of the show, my projector suddenly displayed a black screen with the Watchout logo (the same that shows when we go Online and some file are transfered from the controller to the player).
Before this occured the timeline was stopped for 10 minutes waiting for the next cue. The player was showing the fix first image of the next film.

I didn't hit Ctrl-L neither any key. (even then, nothing had changed in the project, so any file transfer was necessary).
I didn't touch the MIDI controller (a BCF2000).
All the system is on UPS.
The setup is really simple : One controller, one player, one projector, one laptop to remote-control the projector. All on fixed IP connected via a single Gigabit switch.

From the place I was looking, I could'nt see if anything else was displayed (like an IP adress, a progress bar or any message).
I had to use the projector's shutter and re-open the show.

Does anybody experienced this?
Have you any idee of what could have caused this?
Do you know when a such screen is supposed to show normally?

Thank you for your help

Jean-Luc,

There are many things that can cause this, but the most common thing to suspect is the connection to your display device.

That is if the computers in question is properly configured & tweaked as per our guidelines.

How is this setup designed? Length of cable? Cat5 Extender? EDID Manager used on the output/s?

/jonas

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Jonas,

Yes, I suspect a disconnection of the display output.

I had one a few months ago and since then, whenever possible, I use a DVI instead of miniDisplayPort.

This time it occured even with a mechanicaly secured DVI. So I suspect either the EDID manager or its power supply.

Since I cannot take off the EDID Manager, the only change I made is to disconnect the uninterruptible power supply.

For the moment, the problem is solved : The show ran four times without error.

I will see in a few week if I can consider it definitely solved.

For information, the setup is as follows :

The production PC, the WO player, and a laptop are connected to a Gigabit switch with 2 meters CAT5 cables.

The videoprojector is connected to the switch with a 100 meters CAT5 cable.

One DVI output of the player is connected to the videoprojector via 200 meters optical fiber. The TX interface is powered by the graphic card DVI output.

Another DVI output is connected to a 23" monitor via an EDID manager and 2 meters DVI cables. The watchout is in "Duplicate displays" mode to monitor the WO output when the videoprojector shutter is closed.

A BCF2000 MIDI control device is connected to the production PC.

I use Watchout 5.3

Thank you Jonas,

Yes, I suspect a disconnection of the display output.

I had one a few months ago and since then, whenever possible, I use a DVI instead of miniDisplayPort.

This time it occured even with a mechanicaly secured DVI. So I suspect either the EDID manager or its power supply.

Since I cannot take off the EDID Manager, the only change I made is to disconnect the uninterruptible power supply.

For the moment, the problem is solved : The show ran four times without error.

I will see in a few week if I can consider it definitely solved.

For information, the setup is as follows :

The production PC, the WO player, and a laptop are connected to a Gigabit switch with 2 meters CAT5 cables.

The videoprojector is connected to the switch with a 100 meters CAT5 cable.

One DVI output of the player is connected to the videoprojector via 200 meters optical fiber. The TX interface is powered by the graphic card DVI output.

This will put unnecessary load on the graphics card. Separate power is always prefered/recommended.

Another DVI output is connected to a 23" monitor via an EDID manager and 2 meters DVI cables. The watchout is in "Duplicate displays" mode to monitor the WO output when the videoprojector shutter is closed.

I would not recommed to do it this way.

I would prefer to have ONE output DVI (or DisplayPort/MiniDisplayPort->DVI active adapter) -> EDID Manager (DVI Parrot)->

-> DVI distribution amplifier-> 1) DVI over Fiberoptic TX to Projector

-> 2) DVI to 23" LCD screen for monitor

This way you are not relying on Windows/AMD drivers for the splitting of screens. Much more reliable in my experience.

A BCF2000 MIDI control device is connected to the production PC.

I use Watchout 5.3