ip display wrong

fabio orefice

Hallo to everybody!

I'm a neawbie with watchout :)

I have the follow problem : If I try to launch the display screen setting an ip address for example 192.168.0.150 as always i've done

On the display appear the follow IP address.

This problem happen only with 2 pc on 4 that are all the same with same configuration...
I don't have bluethooth devices enabled - i don't have wifi enabled - Only 1 Intel Gigabit network connection

Does anybody know why this would happen?

Thanks a lot for your help9414_10153311706550531_1387070791_n.jpg

That IP (169.254.224.220) is Windows OS-assigned, i.e. your Display PC motherboard likely has two RJ45 ports, or Bluetooth, 1394 LAN,  Wireless or ?? some other kind of network adapter.

Disabling DHCP Client in Services will not get rid of the problem.

No CAT5 wire plugged to the adapter will not get rid of it.

BIG MYTH: "I am not using it - the connection. No wire connected. So it should not be working".

Unfortunately, Windows think it is working. Therefore the IP Address above that you did not assign yourself when Watchpoint is started.

Two solutions:

1. In Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > ensure all adapters other than the one you want, are DISABLED.

(Repeat: "Network Cable Unplugged" does not mean the adapter is Disabled).

2. Per jfk's tip in another posting -

In Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > hit ALT key to pop up a menu bar > Advanced > Advanced Settings > choose your Watchpoint Display's Local Area Connection  and move it up to the top of the list. This gives it priority over other connections in the Display PC, and should solve the problem because it appears that Watchpoint takes from the top of this list for the ip address.

Now start up Watchpoint. Hope that solves it for you.

Thomas Leong

Edit to original post:

Reference to DHCP being the culprit...changed to "Windows OS-assigned".

Rationale: To make Windows user friendly, I think it is constantly scanning the adapters and ports for a connection. Absent such connection, and Windows assigns the port an ip from the Twilight Zone (play music here!). One can choose DHCP or assign a fixed IP Address to the port, and yet the Twilight Zone number will persist, if no connection is made. Connect it up, and voila!...DHCP-assigned or the fixed IP shows up. This is so when the Adapter is at the top of the adapter listing. So solution 2, per jfk's tip, is probably the ONLY solution to this problem if other network adapters need to remain enabled.

You likely have multiple network interfaces in your computer, and the one you use is not the primary one. Make the interface that's being plugged in the primary one by putting it at the top of the list of network interfaces as described here:

http://superuser.com/questions/117507/how-can-i-change-the-binding-order-of-network-adapters-in-windows-7

We're working on an improvement to handle this situation more gracefully in the next version of WATCHOUT.

Mike

I've resolve it looking at : 1. In Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > ensure all adapters other than the one you want, are DISABLED.

(Repeat: "Network Cable Unplugged"does not mean the adapter is Disabled).

I've disabled also bluetooth Radio and it works.

Thanks a lot for your help mates :)