Blackmagic videohub control panels

Alex Ramos

Hey all,

Im working a in a project that will involve control panels to trigger Aux time lines.
My idea is to use Blackmagic videohub control panels.

What I mean is I need to control Dataton Wachout timelines, for this I must send UDP TCP IP strings, and the software can reply to the control panel to confirm the action.

Any one as experience in something similar, or can recommend control panel, other than blackmagic, that can do this?

Tkx

Alex

My take on this is that Blackmagic's Videohub may not be suitable. Though it connects via Ethernet, it is meant for multiple device control and switching. More suitable would be a custom built MIDI controller with each MIDI Note triggering an Aux Timeline. The trigger feature is built into Watchout, and a learn fucntion for each MIDI Note is fail-safe, i.e. minimal, if not zero, troubleshooting problems.

Have a look at http://lividinstruments.com/hardware_builder.php for a build-your-own MIDI Controller.

Good luck, and Happy New Year!

Thomas Leong

Alex,

If you are not in favour of MIDI, then have a look at the range of controllers from HRS Control using their UDC Control software. The software has the protocol for Watchout control, but last I asked, the pricing is not cheap especially with Lightware hardware -

http://hrscontrol.com/controllers-2-2/?cat=53

With X-keys hardware, it is probably cheaper.

Thomas Leong

Thanks for the the reply.

Midi controller is what im using at the moment and it's not enough.

1* watchout can't reply to the midi controller confirming the action. Ex change the button's color when the time line runs.

2* This is used in a broadcast invoirement, so I need the same kind of hardware used in matrix switchers and video mixers.

So my idea is, case videohub control can work stand alone, to use the broadcasted messages sent by the BM when a button is pressed to trigger WO events.

And at the same time send tcp/ip from WO to trigger lights in the BM videohub controller.

Basically what I'm looking is for forum support developing this idea.

Tkx

Alex

The Videohub is nicely priced.

And on further research into the HRS Control software being able to program the Lightware MX-RCP16 or 32 - remote controllers of Lightware matrix routers/switchers - it would appear that the Videobub Smart Control and Master Control units are similarly usable. The only ?? is the software to program them. At least with HRS Control, there is  a demo download to checkout the Watchout section (though communication with Watchout is disabled in demo mode). With Decklink, is there a demo version of the software?

One other alternative is an electronics engineer old friend in London. He can build and program (or make programmable) pro looking 1U or 2U rack mountable button panels using the PIC chip and Basic programming. He has done a number of these units for his water screen-and-fountain installations from China to the Middle East triggering relays, projector controls, etc. If you want his contact address to discuss your needs, please let me know via private mail/message.

Thomas Leong

Hi Alex,

Not so good news. I just went through the Vidohub Smart Control manual, and there does not seem to be a way to enter any of the string commands that Watchout requires to trigger an Aux Timeline. The Smart Control merely seems to route source to destination (a'la a matrix switcher) or multiple sources to a single destinations (using its built-in macro feature).

Next step is to ask HRS Control people whether their software is able to program the Decklink Videohub Smart Control like it can program the Lightware 16/32.

Thomas

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Thomas,

Just to clear a doubt.

To start a AUX time line we don't need a specific string, right?

By creating a generic input we can use any string to trigger any thing.

Meaning that what ever the string is coming from the control panel, we can use it in a generic input.

Please correct me if Im wrong.

Sorry, but I'm not exactly clear on what you mean or require, Alex.

Are you intending to start an Aux Timeline using -

1. a Trigger; or

2. a string created from the Output Window and inserted into the Main Timeline; or

3. A generic Input.

A Generic Input, eg. X, does not contain a string. It merely has a value (default 0-1). By specifying X as a Trigger to an Aux Timeline (or multiple Aux Timelines), then click and dragging the Value (to any value), it will start the Aux Timeline(s) which have it as a Trigger. So X will start Aux Timeline 1, Aux Timeline 9, Aux Timeline 22, etc all at the same time, if those timelines have X specified as a Trigger.

In another way, you could put a string (created from the Output Window) into its own Aux Timeline, and trigger this Aux Timeline with a generic input, MSC, or MIDI Note. However, for this to occur, you would need to connect to the Watchout PC (Prodn or primary Display in a cluster) via TCP/IP or serial port.

Thomas