Datapath VisionSC-SDI4 PAL input

matkeane

Apologies for what is not strictly a Watchout question, but I wondered if anybody has managed to successfully capture a composite PAL source with a Datapath VisionSC-SDI4 card.

The Datapath card is installed in a Watchout player (purchased from a Dataton distributor and otherwise working perfectly) currently running v6.2.2. However, I can't get the Datapath to recognise a PAL source on any of the 4 inputs in the Datapath Vision software - so I'm not even getting as far as configuring the video inputs in Watchout.

I did wonder whether the Datapath still supports SD formats, but the data sheet for the VisionSC-SDI4 seems to show support for both PAL & NTSC signals (576i25, 480i29.97)
https://www.datapath.co.uk/datapath-products/video-capture-cards/visionsc-range/visionsc-sdi4

The camera is a HikVision DS-2CC12D9T which outputs either PAL or NTSC on the composite output.
https://www.hikvision.com/uploadfile/image/9900_E资料模拟相机NewtemplateDatasheetD5T(18)DS2CC12D9T(A).pdf

The reason I don't use a HD signal is that the camera is actually used with a legacy motion capture system which is configured for a 4:3 PAL source. Since the camera hangs alongside the main video projector for the show and needs to frame the stage, it would be handy to be able to see what I'm doing while adjusting the camera. Currently I have to use a laptop to VNC into the machine in FOH that's connected to the camera, but I was hoping I could make life a little easier by using the Datapath card to display the live input through the video projector.

When the camera is connected - with the same video cable - to the machine running the motion capture software, which uses a Blackmagic capture card, the signal is recognised as a PAL source. Usually I find Datapath cards are very good at auto-detecting the input format, while Blackmagic cards are more picky.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the machine right now, and it will be a while before I can try this again, but I was just wondering if I'm missing something obvious... 
Thanks, and I hope everybody is staying well out there.

• Dataton Partner

Hi Matthew,

Where do you see that Datapath card support composite PAL?

To what I see, it can support 480i and 756i resolution but I think it's on an SDI format, so numeric. Composite PAL is analog so you need a composite to SDI converter.

I'm sory but I'm not very good in old standard so maybe I'm wrong, anyway I think I have a converter I can borrow you if it can help...

Cheers,

Benoit

Salut Benoit,

Ah, you're right! For some reason I thought the Datapath accepted both analogue and digital signals, but I guess I got mixed up between their older VisionAV cards and the VisionSC, which does appear to be digital only. That's a shame, but not a big problem really...

Merci et à+
Matthew