New to watchout, very noob questions

Simone

Hi there,

I'm a catalyst operator and I want to jump in watchout 6 in order to understand how I can replace catalyst in same cases.

My question are focused on the hardware side, I have a media server with an AMD R9 290 with 2 DVI, 1DP and 1 HDMI out.

For the next work were I would like to use watchout I have a big ledwall that work with 2 DVI ledwall controllers. With catalyst I'm used to split the big resolution of the ledwall with a datapath x4, with this solution I get a perfect sync between the 2 output of the x4.

Can I do the same thing with watchout?

What will happen if I connect the ledwall controller directly to the VGA DVI output (with EDID emulator)? Will I get perfect sync?

Wath about sync if I use the DP with an MST Hub?

Cheers Simone.

Hi there,

I'm a catalyst operator and I want to jump in watchout 6 in order to understand how I can replace catalyst in same cases.

My question are focused on the hardware side, I have a media server with an AMD R9 290 with 2 DVI, 1DP and 1 HDMI out.

For the next work were I would like to use watchout I have a big ledwall that work with 2 DVI ledwall controllers. With catalyst I'm used to split the big resolution of the ledwall with a datapath x4, with this solution I get a perfect sync between the 2 output of the x4.

Can I do the same thing with watchout?

What will happen if I connect the ledwall controller directly to the VGA DVI output (with EDID emulator)? Will I get perfect sync?

Wath about sync if I use the DP with an MST Hub?

Cheers Simone.

You may need a Firepro grade graphic card with S400 sync module (or same grade of Nvidia) with framelock features in this case in order to get a perfect sync.

Recently I have a show in order to feed 6 x HD signal for the main LED wall, and it works great wtih Firepro W9100 and S400. hope this help

Leonard

AVTHK

If what you want to do can be done with a single WATCHOUT display computer with a single graphics card (which may have multiple outputs, as you probably know), an alternative is to use an NVIDIA card insteda of AMD. While AMD requires a sync card to maintain sync across outputs even within the same card, NVIDIA does so by default. This holds true even on gamer-grade cards, which may allow you to save some money here too. Thus, with NVIDIA you may need sync card when going across multiple computers, but not within a single computer.

At least that was the conclusion last I looked at this. Perhaps someone else can confirm if this is still the case.

"While AMD requires a sync card to maintain sync across outputs even within the same card, NVIDIA does so by default."

Yes, could someone confirm this to be true?

The Quadro M4000 (with 8GB VRAM and 4 DP outputs - similar to the Firepro W7100) cost a bit more than the Firepro W7100, but when the S400 is taken into consideration, it is a lot, lot cheaper!!

Thomas Leong

Thank you all for your suggestions, as soon I buy the license key a I will start testing with my R9 290 VGA and figure out if it fit my needs, for now I'm doing some testing using two DVI monitor grouped with eyefinity and trying to play same video with arkaos. My goal is to understand how god is sync between DVI outs but I'm having a problem of video artifacts as you can see in link below.

I played a strobe effect with arkaos, as you can see on the right monitor there is an horizontal line going from down to up.

Has anyone had experience with this problem?

https://youtu.be/n_YdYPdyQVk

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have one more noob question that comes to me after reading this threat:

Do I have to use S 400 sync card for this setup / purpose:

One watchnet computer.

Two watchpoint computers, withSapphire AMD FirePro W7100 cards (4 outputs each computer)

This setup should play 8 videos (8 outputs) blended and in total sync creating one big screen - picture.

Thank`s for answer

Quote: "I have one more noob question that comes to me after reading this threat:"

Er...matter of correct semantics. The correct word is 'thread', not 'threat'!! Heavens of Murgatroy forbid!

Back on topic, you do not need the S400 Sync card since your outputs are blended. The sync between the 2 Watchpoint PCs should be good, or better than good. The S400 is recommended for LED display walls where blending is not used. Many of us here do not use the S400 in our Watchpoint PCs, and have not had a problem with sync.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for your suggestions, as soon I buy the license key a I will start testing with my R9 290 VGA and figure out if it fit my needs, for now I'm doing some testing using two DVI monitor grouped with eyefinity and trying to play same video with arkaos. My goal is to understand how god is sync between DVI outs but I'm having a problem of video artifacts as you can see in link below.

I played a strobe effect with arkaos, as you can see on the right monitor there is an horizontal line going from down to up.

Has anyone had experience with this problem?

https://youtu.be/n_YdYPdyQVk

Its because your display hertz are not supported make it 60hz and try again