midi - usb interface with watchpax standalone

NSM Tech Services

Hi. have just made up my first show using midi triggers, and trying to get it to run on watchpax standalone.  Works perfectly with my midi interface plugged into the production computer, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to install the midi interface drivers on the watchpax. I'm using a Roland Um -One midi to usb interface.  Is there a way to use midi on watchpax only? Cheers

Does your Roland Um -One midi unit 'auto-install its driver' into your Production PC such that it is recognized as a midi controller without having to identify it to Windows? I know the Korg NanoKontrol2 and the Behringer BCD2000 both do this, and Watchout can use it 'as is'. In the case where the midi unit does not have a built-in midi driver presented to Windows, one has to manually install its driver and/or select its midi channel input before Watchout will recognise it as a midi unit.

Since Watchout in Watchpax is in a locked down embedded Windows which does not allow manual install of drivers nor any other tinkering, an 'auto-installed driver' unit may work. In other words, after having uploaded your show with midi unit specified as the midi interface, just plug in the same unit to the Watchpax, then boot up Watchpax, and try without the production pc connected.

Confirmed today: Watchpax can be triggered by a MIDI unit provided the MIDI unit auto-installs its drivers into the embedded Windows without user intervention. Can also connect a keyboard and mouse to the USB ports which Windows would also auto-install drivers for, but they are as useful as vnc'ing from the Production PC :( .

I used the Korg NanoKontrol2 today, programmed some triggers - play, pause, stop, also scale and opacity, and transferred the show to Watchpax, then connected the Korg to it, and powered on the Watchpax. When the show loaded (together with the MIDI driver - no notification; just give it a few more seconds), I could use all my MIDI triggers and scale my media item as well as control its opacity with the Korg.

If I recall correctly, the Behringer BCD/BCF 2000 also auto-installs its driver so should work as well. Can't test 'cos mine has broken down - keeps blowing its fuse.

Thomas, since a WATCHPAX is locked Windows embedded

and it clears any installed  driver on shut down,

does that mean the Korg has to auto-install
the custom driver every time the WATCHPAX boots?

I suppose that would work, would make me
a bit nervous in an unattended install starting up on a daily basis.
Not so much concern for live shows when an operator is always present.
----

FYI There are also much simpler low cost USB - MIDI interfaces
that work with the generic MIDI driver included in Windows.
i.e. no driver needs to be installed, needed support
is already available from a standard windows install.

These type of interfaces are always straightforward and simple,
i.e. they simply provide a MIDI In and MIDI out jack and nothing more.

That is all WATCHOUT supports anyway - one MIDI connection only.

As soon as they start getting fancier than that (multiple MIDI ports, etc),
the need to install drivers come into play.

I know the USB-MIDI interface that Show Sage sells has
immediately worked without further driver install
with every computer I have ever plugged it into,
including WATCHPAX and WATCHPAX 2.
I know of a few examples of these running trouble free
daily in museums for multiple years now.

(In conjunction with MIDI Solutions F8 switch interfaces

providing connections for push to start and language selection pushbuttons).

Confirmed today: Watchpax can be triggered by a MIDI unit provided the MIDI unit auto-installs its drivers into the embedded Windows without user intervention. Can also connect a keyboard and mouse to the USB ports which Windows would also auto-install drivers for, but they are as useful as vnc'ing from the Production PC :( .

I used the Korg NanoKontrol2 today, programmed some triggers - play, pause, stop, also scale and opacity, and transferred the show to Watchpax, then connected the Korg to it, and powered on the Watchpax. When the show loaded (together with the MIDI driver - no notification; just give it a few more seconds), I could use all my MIDI triggers and scale my media item as well as control its opacity with the Korg.

If I recall correctly, the Behringer BCD/BCF 2000 also auto-installs its driver so should work as well. Can't test 'cos mine has broken down - keeps blowing its fuse.

If WATCHPAX's locked embedded Windows clears any installed driver on shut down, I suppose yes, the Korg has to auto-install the custom driver every time the WATCHPAX boots. There is no way for us users to know because there is no visual prompt from Watchpax as to what is happening.

What I know is that in a normal Windows environment, Windows auto-installs the device driver (or prompts for one) when a device is plugged into a USB port the first  time around. Thereafter, if the device is removed without uninstalling it (via Device Manager), the device and its installed driver driver becomes a 'nonpresent device' where Windows is concerned. After shutdown and reboot, if the same device is plugged back into the same USB port, Windows will merely use the 'dormant' driver previously installed for that device, i.e. Windows does not need to re-install the driver again for that USB device in that same port. However, it would have to install the driver if the device is plugged into another USB port (Note: It seems that Win 10 is better at recognizing the same device in another port than Win 7 and does not need to).

In any case, my take is that such installs or re-installs are very quick, transparent and painless, and in any setup, even in a museum, should not affect operations at all where Watchpax is concerned.

• 1 year later...

I know the USB-MIDI interface that Show Sage sells has

immediately worked without further driver install

with every computer I have ever plugged it into,

including WATCHPAX and WATCHPAX 2.

I know of a few examples of these running trouble free

daily in museums for multiple years now.

(In conjunction with MIDI Solutions F8 switch interfaces

providing connections for push to start and language selection pushbuttons).

Jfk,

I'm interested in what interface this is, i have a situation where i need to connect multiple Midi Solutions F8 to WATCHPAX 4.

The simple driverless USB-Midi interface that i bought appears to not provide power over MIDI, witch the F8 needs.

The Midi Solutions website does provide a list of midi-interfaces that will surely NOT provide power, but not one midi-interfaces' specs will tell if it DOES provide power..

I prefer the most simple/smallest converter that powers over USB.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Ruben

Jfk,

I'm interested in what interface this is ...

Ruben

Show Sage part number 10047 - MIDI-to-USB Interface

We have used this interface with a MIDI Solutions splitter which is also MIDI powered and it worked fine.

Jfk,

The simple driverless USB-Midi interface that i bought appears to not provide power over MIDI, witch the F8 needs ...

BTW Confirm you did connect both the In and Out of the MIDI interface to the F8?

WATCHOUT only reads data received from the interface's MIDI In connector,

but power is supplied via the interface's Out connector.

Thanks for the reply, although i can't find that product, Show Sage website doesn't seem to work.. 

Yes, i connected both connectors of the midi interface, also measured the connector.. just no power..

For now i got it working using a standard 5V power supply and put a midi plug on it.

Still i'd rather power it from the WATCHPAX's USB port..