Network connection troubles

dnmeid

Hi guys,

I have a strange topic with a new network infrastructure. The production computer has built-in 1GB ethernet and this one is working fine. To speed up media distribution the whole system is equipped with 10GB ethernet now and with 10GB at the display computers and 1GB at the production computer still everything is fine. When I now use the 10GB port at the production computer, I still can update and distribute media, but I loose control over the timeline. I guess update uses TCP and timeline control UDP or something else, but I don't know. Does anybody have a good hint where to look for the reason of the problem?

Thanks

Dorian

• 2 weeks later...

What you describe is a common occurrence when there are multiple NICs in the computer.

The TCP/IP is going out the correct NIC, the UDP (transport commands) is going out the wrong NIC.

Either re-order your multiple NICs or disable the other NIC.

Now (9 days later) the show is over and I used to disable the 1GB NIC. How does Watchout pick the NIC? I didn't try reordering them. Does it use the first NIC? In alphabetical order or whichever NIC seems to have the most compatibel IP range to the display computers?

Also what about artnet? I often have artnet receivers in a different subnet and then I add a secondary IP to my NIC. Can I use a second NIC for that? Which NIC is chosen for artnet by default?

Thanks

Dorian

Now (9 days later) the show is over and I used to disable the 1GB NIC. How does Watchout pick the NIC? I didn't try reordering them. Does it use the first NIC?

Yes

In alphabetical order or whichever NIC seems to have the most compatibel IP range to the display computers?

Neither.
The UDP traffic will go out an available NIC with the highest Prioriry in the Windows configuration.