File sometimes not playing

RoccoDNYC

I'm having trouble with a file not playing. It just doesn't show up. Just black. I have a file that plays through the whole movie with the timeline running. At the end of the movie I want to crossfade into another movie the loops so I have that one set to free running and loop. Sometimes it shows up sometimes it doesn't. It's running on a watchpax that is driving 2 projectors edge blended. The file is mpeg2 1920x960. Any ideas? 

Is that per output or one movie for both outputs?

Sounds like running the two movies at the same time

are just over the WATCHPAX performance threshold.

BTW mpeg2 movies with B frames require much more processing power than the same movie with no B frames.

Had a museum install with the same description - movie played sometimes, failed to play (black hole) sometimes.

Eliminated B frames while keeping all other parameters the same and the problem was resolved.

Using all I-frames is usually a bad idea, unless you need to jump around the movie very quickly. All I-frame encoding needs a much higher bit rate to achieve the same quality. If I understand AME correctly, N-frames is the number of frames between I-frames, which is the same as the key-frame interval. Normally, 1-2 I-frames per second is a good compromise between quality and performance, which translates to setting N-frames to 15-30 for a 30 fps movie. Longer I-frame intervals can in some cases produce the "pumping" artefacts. M-frames is the number of B-frames between consecutive I- and P-frames, so I would assume setting this to 0 would eliminate the B-frames. Eliminating B-frames greatly reduces the (CPU/GPU and memory) load of the decoder. The price you have to pay is slightly less compression (if encoding with constant quality) or a slight reduction in quality in case you are encoding with constant bitrate. If you are worried about the quality, just bump up the bitrate by 10% as compared to when encoding with B-frames. 

/Erik