Additional IP control commands

DavidPatrick

Hi all-

I've been working on developing a control system to operate WO via IP control. It working well, and I'm using all the commands documented in the v5 manual.

However, it seems there are additional undocumented commands, since the iOS app has commands not available in the manual command listings. (for instance, polling a machine to get a listing of all the aux timelines.)

Does anyone have any information about this? Perhaps a list of all the commands and what they return? Or possibly any WO remote source code i could review?

Thanks!

dp

The best way to access the command protocol is through the WATCHOUT Systems Manager API library, which will handle the protocol communication details for you in a more high level manner. This API/library exists in two forms. As a Flash SWC component, for use from Flash Professional or Flex, or as a JavaScript library for use from supported web browsers, such as the iOS versions of Safari, running on iPad/iPhone. You may want to download the WATCHOUT Systems Manager and take a look at the enclosed documentation to see if it does what you want:

http://www.dataton.com/downloads/watchout/WATCHMan_1.0.zip

The JavaScript version is similar, although some things are named/accessed in slightly different ways due to different language features in ActionScript versus JavaScript. Since the JavaScript version comes with full source code, it should be easy enough to figure it out. We're curently preparing some example apps based on the JavaScript version for upcoming tfaining seminars, so examples and docs should improve as we move forward here.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I poked through the Systems Manager stuff and couldn't find the JavaScript version or JS source code...seems to be all Flash (which won't help me on iOS)...is that include in the ZIP and I just missed it? If not, can you point me to the right location?

What I'd really like is just a list of commands and their arguments similar to what's on page 252 of the v 5.1 manual. Does something like that exist? I assume the WO iOS app sends commands via TCP or UDP from the iOS device to WO, and I'd to have access to the same ones.

Thanks!

dp

Find the javascript version enclosed. It has the same capabilities as the ActionScript one, so you can use the docs from the AS version (except properties use explicit SetXxxx and GetXxxx functions instead, as JS doesn't support "properties" get/set functions). There's also a separate event module, which you need to include prior to the WATCHMan.js file.

WATCHManJS.zip

"...seems to be all Flash (which won't help me on iOS)..."

Not true. Although browser-based Flash is not supported in the iOS browser, one can write and compile apps for iOS using Flash technology. The latest versions of both Flash Builder and Flash Professional all contain the resources to successfully compile Flash and Flex projects for iOS.

Read here :

http://gregsramblings.com/2011/06/20/finally-its-here-flex-on-ios-android-and-blackberry-playbook/

JJ