I'm buying a whole new computer to run Watchout on - what should I keep in mind?

Ben Debuse

I'm buying a new computer (PC or MAC) and I wanted some advice on hardware. Stuff like duel core processors, RAM, SATA drives, which graphics card, how many screens etc... This is what I'll be doing with it:

Designing shows using Watchout

Compositing in HD using After Effects

Editing using Premiere

Photoshop

Budget is around £1200

Any advice anyone has would be gratefully received!

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi Ben-only just saw your post so you have probably already bought but I use the following with success to run HD shows.

Intel I7 2600k quad Core 3.4GHZ

ATI Radeon HD5850

ASUS P8P67 Mobo.

4 Gig Ram

All in this set me back around £600.

Add a couple of Sata drives and a decent PSU you can easily come in under £1200.More like £850

Neil Stratton

I'm inclined to half the spending on the usual SATA drive and go for a SSD instead. There is a big gap in performance even if the SSD is a moderate performer by SSD standards. Basically, use the ole spinning SATA for extra storage, and run Watchout on an SSD - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-hdd-performance,3023.html

After Effects thrives on RAM so you'll need 16-32GB for that depending on how heavy your usage of AFx is.