Christie LX505 control

rfabrizio

I am trying to control the shutter of a Christie LX505 via an Output cue over TCP but I cannot get it to respond. When I Telnet the commands (C0D - CLOSE; C0E - OPEN) it works fine, but when I try to have WatchOut send the command, the projector does not respond. I am not sure if this is because, despite not having a password, the projector still needs a empty password as it does when I connect via Telnet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem and I really need the projectors to be controlled from Watchout. To switch it on/off on the museum installations and shutter on/off during big shows. And I need it to work via LAN port. I really hope Dataton engineers will help me to fix this problem.

I have found that if the connection has been establshed properly between units over TCP/IP, then there is a high probability that it is a syntax error on the part of the user. The most common mistake is assuming that a device automatically appends the carriage return or line feed keystroke to a string. I suspect Watchout does not, and your Telnet application does. So try adding $0D (i.e. $ for Hex, 0 as in the numeral zero, and the capital letter D) to the end of your string command in Watchout's String Cue window. This is the hex code for a carriage return.

Not sure if you need -

Open

in Watchout. According to Watchout's manual, when the cue is played, Watchout will open the connection specified, so I would think it superfluous to repeat the Open command in your string. On the other hand, perhaps there is no harm done to ensure it is open.

And yes, I think it should be -

1111$0D

C00$0D

in Watchout. ("I think" because personally I have not sent a command out of Watchout before - don't have a device that can accept TCP/IP strings; but I have sent string commands into Watchout, and without a carriage return $0D at the end of each command, Watchout would not work, though like you, via Hyperterminal it did.

Mmm...having said that, perhaps I should try sending string commands from one Watchout PC to another to check out Watchout's Output of strings. Tomorrow!)

Did the $0D carriage return appended to the end of a command work for you?

I have just tested from one Watchout 5 to another Watchout 5, and proved the theory - that WO does not auto append the carriage return $0D to the end of a string command. You have to manually include it for the command to work. A space between the command and $0D is not necessary, though it does not hurt either.

The other gotcha is that sometimes, the opening of the TCP port may be fractionally slow such that the receiving end does not get the command. So repeating the command a second later in the Timeline solves it.

It would help troubleshooting if a future version of Watchout could include a Monitor pop-up window for messages/commands sent out from Watchout. And using the Microsoft Loopback Adapter, one need not even physically need to hook up with a network to program and test commands from a Production PC.

Please let us know your result. Enquiring minds would like to know. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...