Fade out running video layers at unpredictable time?

JohnHuntington

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I searched here and read through the manual and couldn't figure it out.  I've set up a lot of WO systems and run them from Medialon and so on but I've only done simple playback and not worked through all the V5 features.

Anyway, we have a guest designer for our current show who wants to take a number of layers of running video, and have them fade out on cue, at an unpredictable time on cue from the Stage Manager.  I think putting the system into standby would work, but I don't think that will give them the fade flexibility they want for this show.

The only way I've figured to do this is take a MIDI controller and have it control the opacity tracks of all the running clips. 

Before I did into that, is there a simpler way?

Thanks!

John

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I searched here and read through the manual and couldn't figure it out.  I've set up a lot of WO systems and run them from Medialon and so on but I've only done simple playback and not worked through all the V5 features.

Anyway, we have a guest designer for our current show who wants to take a number of layers of running video, and have them fade out on cue, at an unpredictable time on cue from the Stage Manager.  I think putting the system into standby would work, but I don't think that will give them the fade flexibility they want for this show.

The only way I've figured to do this is take a MIDI controller and have it control the opacity tracks of all the running clips. 

Before I did into that, is there a simpler way?

Thanks!

John

Probably yes.

The trick is to make the video cue free running. If necessary, also make it loop so it won't run out.

Then you can pause the timeline immediately after the video is running,

free running will keep the video going with the timeline paused.

After the pause, the same cue fades out using the tween Opacity track.

I usually use a duration of just one second plus fade out time,

with the pause placed immediately before the fade out portion of the cue.

So the fade out will occur "on cue".

Hi John- you could create an auxiliary timeline and place the video cue in it with free running selected.Place a pause cue say 1 second in, and then after the pause cue have an opacity tween to fade out. Then when you run the timeline from the Task window it will run to the pause cue, and the video will continue to play.Then when you hit run again on the timeline it will move over the opacity tween and the video will fade out on cue. A combination of auxiliary timelines can be used for multiple videos.

Hope this helps

Neil