RS232 issue

VGran

I am able to send simple text strings such as "run" from a PC terminal program (Putty) to our Watchout extreme playback and have complete control. I switch from the PC to our show controller and send the same string "run" and there is no response.

I have set baud rates/ parity etc. with success out of the PC. I can hook up the show controller and send the PC the same text string "run" and it is confirmed.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

I am able to send simple text strings such as "run" from a PC terminal program (Putty) to our Watchout extreme playback and have complete control. I switch from the PC to our show controller and send the same string "run" and there is no response.

I have set baud rates/ parity etc. with success out of the PC. I can hook up the show controller and send the PC the same text string "run" and it is confirmed.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Before you can send a run, you must send authenticate 1

You should also send a valid load command at lest once from that control connection

prior to sending run, even if the show is already loaded.

It is possible the hardware handshake that the PC provides by default
 is not being implemented by your show control system.

Another common error is confusion between
Data Terminal Equipment and  Data Circuit-terminating Equipment (DTE/DCE) connections.

And Thomas' comment about appending the carriage return ($0D) is also important.

Are you trying to control the Production PC or the Display PC?

Did you carefully read the "DISPLAY CLUSTER PROTOCOL" section in the Watchout manual page 257?

I can assure you that he is talking to the display with no production connected.

There is no support for serial control of Production.

I have been assisting them with this for over a week, not sure why they felt the need to post here,

I had answered the same question within five minutes of its being asked of me directly. banghead.gif

Hello Jim,

...There is no support for serial control of Production...

Can you elaborate on your comment, please? I have always been doing my tests sending the commands to the production pc, whether in text strings or in hex codes, albeit via a tcp/ip connection rather than serial. Mmm...now that I mention it ("tcp/ip rather than serial") is that what you meant?

Thanks,

Thomas

Hello Jim,

Can you elaborate on your comment, please? I have always been doing my tests sending the commands to the production pc, whether in text strings or in hex codes, albeit via a tcp/ip connection rather than serial. Mmm...now that I mention it ("tcp/ip rather than serial") is that what you meant?

Thanks,

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Guess it is a matter of terminology. 

Yes, Production can be IP controlled. 

No, production can not be controlled via RS-232,

which for years has commonly been referred to in the US as serial control.

And of course, from earlier direct communication with the customer,

and the title of the thread, I know he was using RS-232 control,

so I may have been assuming to much in that regard. ;)