S400 - verify sync settings

tobiasbecker

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any way or status window

where I can see that a display computer is actually using the sync settings from the S400.

In what way it the "heartbeat" from Watchout transmitted over TCP/IP (synching playback across WO display computers ) relavant to be in sync with the S400?

What happens "behind the scenes" when I set the new tic box in Display > Advanced > Synchronisation?

If I would have more than one display computer EACH equipped with a S400 do I then still need to set the tic box? My requirement is "only" to have displays computers that are in phase sync to each other NOT to sync to an external source.

In my understanding the S400 makes the graphics card generate its own 50Hz in phase sync to the S400 sync. If that happens on all display computers then WO / DirectX also should display their 50Hz in phase sync with the S400. So then why do I still need the new tic box?

Or what do I miss? ;)

Thanks

Tobi

Thanks.

But what is the sync master doing / what does the tic box do? Why is it needed to output phase sync video?

Doesn't DirectX lock to whatever the graphics cards generates (frame sync wise) which is locked to the S400?

In the AMD control panel the S400 syncs to external tri level (on all display computers).

If somebody could clarify that would be great!

Thanks.

But what is the sync master doing / what does the tic box do? Why is it needed to output phase sync video?

Doesn't DirectX lock to whatever the graphics cards generates (frame sync wise) which is locked to the S400?

No. It maybe close, within a card, but it's not frame-locked.

In the AMD control panel the S400 syncs to external tri level (on all display computers).

External sync signal is not a requirement, it's an option.

And no, one do not connect that signal to all Display computers, only on the first one/first S400 or Quadro-sync card

ALL graphics outputs, within the Display PC or in multiple Display PC:s, syncs to the selected sync master,

usually output no 1 in the first Display PC.

Each S400/Quadro-sync cards sync output is then connected together. (short cables are adviced)

/jonas 

Hi Jonas,

thanks for your reply.

If the selected sync master ("tic box") is selected, how is this sync information then transfered to the other display PCs?

I was under the impression that TCP/UDP connections are not accurate enough (or software in general not able) to create phase sync (talking multiple HD hard edge LED walls here) between different display computers on the graphics card / hardware level.

If you write that you have to define a master within the software sync (TCP / UDP) world of WO ("tic box")

and at the same time the local display computers running local DirectX are NOT able to phase lock to the local (synced) graphics card,

does this mean WO is somehow transferring phase sync information over the TCP/UDP-WO-network?

And if not, and if DirectX is not able to phase / frame lock to a local graphics card, how is the sync information reaching the display computers (or, to be more specific, the local DirectX instance)?

If all display computers somehow get some information from their local graphics card / or S400? to create phase / frame lock DirectX output why do I need Watchout Master to do anything ("tic box") except telling each local instance of Watchout Display of look at their local graphics card / S400 and create a phase / frame lock DirectX output?

If DirectX cannot 100% phase / frame lock to a graphics card / S400 why is there is (apparently working) sync option in the first place?

Please help me understand ;)

Thanks

Tobi

Hi Jonas,

thanks for your reply.

If the selected sync master ("tic box") is selected, how is this sync information then transfered to the other display PCs?

It locks WATCHOUT:s rendered output/s to the graphic cards sync mechanism. 

I was under the impression that TCP/UDP connections are not accurate enough (or software in general not able) to create phase sync (talking multiple HD hard edge LED walls here) between different display computers on the graphics card / hardware level.

No, and that's why you have to rely on the graphics card hardware to do so.

Just because the S400/Quadro Sync-cards are interconnected with Cat5-cables does NOT mean that it's a TCP/UDP connection. 

That way all graphics cards output stay frame-locked and WATCHOUT:s output, too.

If you write that you have to define a master within the software sync (TCP / UDP) world of WO ("tic box")

and at the same time the local display computers running local DirectX are NOT able to phase lock to the local (synced) graphics card,

does this mean WO is somehow transferring phase sync information over the TCP/UDP-WO-network

And if not, and if DirectX is not able to phase / frame lock to a local graphics card, how is the sync information reaching the display computers (or, to be more specific, the local DirectX instance)?

See above.

If all display computers somehow get some information from their local graphics card / or S400? to create phase / frame lock DirectX output why do I need Watchout Master to do anything ("tic box") except telling each local instance of Watchout Display of look at their local graphics card / S400 and create a phase / frame lock DirectX output?

If DirectX cannot 100% phase / frame lock to a graphics card / S400 why is there is (apparently working) sync option in the first place?

Also se above.

Please help me understand ;)

Thanks

Tobi

/jonas