Using multiple custom iPads to control a single display

kientan

Hi,

I'm looking to create a single display that can be controlled by multiple users (up to 10) while still having a master controller and self triggering timeline.

Ideally custom iPad apps would be created to trigger and adjust elements appearing on the screen. 

I've had a look at the Watchout Academy cookbooks, this seems like it could be created via SWF or Adobe Air app? Can the Dynamic Server trigger .exes or applications made via Processing, OpenFrameworks and the like?

Wondering if anyone out there has created something similar to this and can offer some insight on how this could be achieved within Watchtout or should I look at other options?

Thanks,

Kien

Hi,

I'm looking to create a single display that can be controlled by multiple users (up to 10) while still having a master controller and self triggering timeline.

Ideally custom iPad apps would be created to trigger and adjust elements appearing on the screen. 

It can be done.

The management needed for the master may best be done in the development of the iPad UI.

Pretty sure you can have multiple peer control point connections authenticated at level 1.

The master could lock out others by upping to authenticate level 2 if need be.

Setting the master back to level 1 re-enables the other control points.

I've had a look at the Watchout Academy cookbooks, this seems like it could be created via SWF or Adobe Air app? Can the Dynamic Server trigger .exes or applications made via Processing, OpenFrameworks and the like?

No. Still images and still image renders from SWF are the only choices.

Other apps like database servers, image captures, etc need to send their output to the image server via the flash scripts.

Wondering if anyone out there has created something similar to this and can offer some insight on how this could be achieved within Watchtout or should I look at other options?

Thanks,

Kien

iono.gif

Hi Kien-

We've done something similar, but only with one iPad at a time. You basically create a custom iPad app that sends the Watchout TCP / IP commands via wifi to the Display Cluster. Should allow the user to control aux timelines and even tweens (opacity, position, color, etc) by modifying input parameters. 

Would have to do some testing, but I think the method jfk mentions would work to allow multiple connections at the same time. Alternatively, you could funnel all the iPad command requests to some kind of middle man piece of software (on a PC or iPad) that then pushes them in order to the display cluster. In fact, if all the users pushed commands to a "control" iPad that then forwarded controls to WO, that same iPad could be used to lock out all commands, certain commands, or specific users, since it's the gatekeeper between users and Watchout.

dp