Composition Question

cowboyclint

Looping video plays correctly in the main timeline.

Put the looping video in a composition, exactly the same time as the media and set media to free running and loop.

Also set the comp to free running loop.

When this happens I get one frame of black.

Not preferable, but are we all experiencing this?

v6.6

I haven't tried nested free-running/looping. My impression, from comments on this forum by Mike Fahl and others, was that free-running and looping should only be done at one level, otherwise things get unpredictable. If I want to loop a video in a composition, I don't set free-running and looping on the cue within the composition, but only on the composition itself and that has worked reliably so far (haven't tested in v6.6 yet).

4 hours ago, matkeane said:

I haven't tried nested free-running/looping. My impression, from comments on this forum by Mike Fahl and others, was that free-running and looping should only be done at one level, otherwise things get unpredictable. If I want to loop a video in a composition, I don't set free-running and looping on the cue within the composition, but only on the composition itself and that has worked reliably so far (haven't tested in v6.6 yet).

Yeah, we tried one level only on comp and in comp and no love. We just burned 3 layers in the main timeline.

This must be that long existing „bug“ or feature in aux-timelines.  Be it a tiny jpg or heavy ProRes... does not matter, you will get the „black flash“, which is actually a „transparency flash“ at the loop point. 

Maybe Dataton can fix  it some day. Or describe a working method for it in the manual.

Until then, use the main timeline or do not loop but put your media end to end in a long enough aux-timeline. 

That is what I have been doing for years now.