WatchOut 6 errors on show-site, PLEASE HELP!

erichpeters

I am on-site with Watchout 6 running a basic show and having serious issues with stability and I cannot get media to show up on the WO Display PC.  

I am getting a variety of errors ...

Display Setting Not Available, No Show Active, and Connection Lost.  

• I am hard IP'd on the WO Production PC as well as the WO Display PC, and I have verified through Windows that every PC is seeing each other.
  • I have Watchout feeding an Encore system and I know for certain my display computer is outputting 1920 x 1080 (exactly as my Displays are set in WO) since I can see them in Encore.
  • I see the WO logo on all my WO Display PC outputs, so I know that's running.

I was seeing this late yesterday after my initial setup, but after several tries of going on and off-line and then rebuilding the Show Cache several times things worked.  We left the system running all night to see what happened and this morning it was still running.  I then took it off-line, added more timelines and content, took the system on-line again and now I am back with the same problem again.  It refuses to push content to the WO Display PC.  

Any thoughts?

The first message you mention; "Display Setting Not Available", indicates that you have your display settings in your show set to a resolution not supported by the display computer or the display attached to it. Make sure that the correct resolution set in the display's dialog box (doubleclick the display in the Stage window to open its settings). I believe the subsequent error messages you mention are caused by this first error.

If you continue having trouble, I suspect the EDID from the Encore. Try connecing a regular 1920x1080 display to the display computer instead, to see if that works.

Hope this helps.

Mike

That's exactly what I thought as well.  

My displays in WO are 1920x1080, the display frame rate in WO preferences is 60.  

The WO Display PC is using a NVIDIA Titan Black with four outputs set in Windows at 1920x1080 at 30Hz.  (This is the most I can do, no option for 60 here)

Those 4 outputs are going through HDMI to SDI converters that are sending out 1920x1080 @ 59.94.

Could the 30Hz be the errant variable?

That's exactly what I thought as well.  

My displays in WO are 1920x1080, the display frame rate in WO preferences is 60.  

and yet your graphics card is outputting at 30 - that will cause the issues you describe.

Try changing WATCHOUT Preferences to 30 to match what the computer is actually doing.

(BTW do not use the Windows control panel to make your display settings, use the card specific utility),

The WO Display PC is using a NVIDIA Titan Black with four outputs set in Windows at 1920x1080 at 30Hz.  (This is the most I can do, no option for 60 here)

Well that is a red flag right there, pointing at exactly what Mike warns about - EDID issues.

Do what Mike told you, substitute a standard display connected directly to rule out WATCHOUT issues,

then focus on the real issue which is your display chain.

Disconnect all other display connections for the test (if you have multiple 1080p monitors, hook them all up direct,

but eliminate the display connections that are already causing issues for the purpose of testing.

Those 4 outputs are going through HDMI to SDI converters that are sending out 1920x1080 @ 59.94.

Could the 30Hz be the errant variable

The 30 Hz restriction is most likely is a side effect of an EDID issue.

Ok, we have it working now, at lest this issue.  We went DVI straight out of the GFX card, into an Image Pro and forced it to pull 1920x1080 @ 60.  The outputs of the Image Pro's are now feeding Encore via the SDI out.

Next issue ... Now we are getting theNetwork error; Display Computer:  Connection Lost.

I am hard IP'd and I can see the WO Display PC all day through Windows.  Mind you this is a WO version 6 Production and Display. 

I have a backup WO Production and WO Display system running version 5.5.1 and I am not having this issue.  Same exact IP setup, all hard IP'd.  

So is this  bug in version 6?  Why will it work in version 5 and not 6?

The WO Display computer acts normal and I see the progress bar copying assets but it gets about halfway through then stops, the screen flickrs then goes to the logo then black then back to the logo with IP and monitor information below it.  So it acts like it has a connection but looses it halfway through the asset copy phase.   Now this machine is not a WO only box and I have a feeling something is causing a communication error but only halfway through the asset copy process.  I went though the Win 7 tip sheet and set everything the same, but I wonder if another application is causing the issue.  

I'm going to rebuild this box from scratch with only WO on it and see what happens.  It's hard to believe that WO would be that touchy and demand an PC with it as the only main application.  

I have a Show Sage backup system as another backup now and that Display system is on version 6 and now operating correctly.  What's weird is I was having the same problem with this unit earlier, uninstalled 6, put on 5, tested it and it worked.  So we unistalled 5 and put 6 back on and now everything is working.  Very confusing ...

The WO Display computer acts normal and I see the progress bar copying assets but it gets about halfway through then stops, the screen flickrs then goes to the logo then black then back to the logo with IP and monitor information below it.

Ok, that's WATCHOUT crashing. Likely when analyzing some video, which happens during the downloading of assets.

I have a Show Sage backup system as another backup now and that Display system is on version 6 and now operating correctly.

The fact that your "Show Sage backup system" doesn't crash indicates there's a difference somewhere. My guess is there are some rouge codecs installed on your misbehaving machine. Those can sometimes cause problems. Take a look at the "tweak list" on this forum for instructions on how to properly configure your PC. 

Mike