DVI and sound capture from iMac

bgarrett

Hello,

Does anyone have experience capturing DVI video and sound into Watchout? I am looking at purchasing the Datapath Vision AV/F capture card. I have video and audio that has to come from an iMac. I was going to come out of the iMac via thunderbolt to DVI, then into a Watchout display computer through the Datapath Vision AV/F. I was going to take the audio out of the 1/8" jack on the iMac and into the Datapath Vision AV/F card. Will the audio and video be in sync? Is this even possbile? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Brent

Hello,

Does anyone have experience capturing DVI video and sound into Watchout? I am looking at purchasing the Datapath Vision AV/F capture card. I have video and audio that has to come from an iMac. I was going to come out of the iMac via thunderbolt to DVI, then into a Watchout display computer through the Datapath Vision AV/F. I was going to take the audio out of the 1/8" jack on the iMac and into the Datapath Vision AV/F card. Will the audio and video be in sync? Is this even possbile? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Brent

Yes, DVI should work fine (providing your iMac is set up properly to NOT require HDCP handshake). 

No, audio capture is not possible.

Feed audio to your sound system via an audio delay capable of adding up to 4 frames delay or so,

should be a little less than half that.

When troubleshooting a signal like this,

start out by using the Blackmagic decklink card's Media Express Utility.

i.e. eliminate WATCHOUT.

If there is a DHCP issue, it will have the same effect in their utility.

From that point, use other resources for assistance

in determining how to turn it off on your iMac.

Talk about misleading information on HDCP,

I enjoyed this quote from a user on BlackMagicDesign forum ...

Thanks for the FAQ link, but the statement "all BMD devices are HDCP compliant", in the case of Decklink / Intensity cards, is a analogous to a TV manufacturer marking a device as "HDCP Compliant", and then justifying the fact it doesn't show a picture, by saying, "because this device doesn't support HDCP, and doesn't display it, that makes it compliant". Perhaps technically true, but I hope you can understand my confusion as Decklink & Intensity cards ...