serial over ip

bgarrett

Hello,

I currently use PJ Link to control my Eiki X85 projectors. I use a TCP/IP string out of WO to shutter and power on my projectors. It works most of the time. I edge blend the projectors and I need them to shutter simultaneously. Sometimes that happens and sometimes it doesn't. One projector might lag behind. In the past I have controlled my projectors through the serial ports-rs232. It was solid. I had no issues with the serial ports on the display computer and the projector. I have seen the serial over ip converters and was wondering if they are as reliable as the standard rs232 with WO. Can anyone comment on that? What brand and model works best?

Also now that computers are much more powerful and can output to multiple displays simultaneously, I want to know how WO users are able to control multiple projectors, individually, from one computer. The production computer sends out the TCP/IP output strings unlike rs232 which comes from the display computer. I have read that the serial over ip devices create virtual com ports and I was under the impression that WO can only send commands out of com port 1. Do the virtual com ports confuse the computer and WO? Can someone please explain this to me before I purchase a serial to ip device?

I found this converter online. I believe it will allow me to control the four projectors individually. Do you think it will work?

http://gridconnect.com/usb-to-serial/serial-to-ethernet/ethernet-tcp-ip-controller-with-4-serial-ports-rs232-rs422-rs485.html#

Thanks,

Brent

I can not answer all your questions, but here is a start ...

....  I have seen the serial over ip converters and was wondering if they are as reliable as the standard rs232 with WO.

YES

... I have read that the serial over ip devices create virtual com ports and I was under the impression that WO can only send commands out of com port 1. Do the virtual com ports confuse the computer and WO? ...

If the only way the device will work is via virtual com ports, then no, it can not be used.

Yes, if the virtual com ports existed, they would confuse WATCHOUT.

This needs to be done in a different, standalone TCP/IP mode, completely indepenent of Windows com ports.