Copy/pasting cues to older version of WO

JJ Myers

I am needing to take cues from a project built in v6.1.2 and  migrate some of them to a new project using v6.0.2. Using a version later than 6.0.2 is not an option for this client. Long story... let's just say the client is not comfortable with any version later than 6.0.2 at this time.

So, I tried the old trick of copying cues from the 6.1.2 project (open-end in 6.1.4) and pasting them in a new 6.0.2 project. The cues will not paste in my 6.0.2 project. The "paste" option is greyed out, as if 6.1.4 recognizes some sort of offending item in the clipboard. Even tried to copy just one simple, single image media cue item void of any tween data.

Is there any way around this? Any find/replace tricks I can run through the copied code to make it compliant with 6.0.2? All I need to copy are some video, image, and composition cues that have some very traditional tween tracks (opacity, scale, position). And the compositions contain simple image and video cues as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am needing to take cues from a project built in v6.1.2 and  migrate some of them to a new project using v6.0.2.

Ouch. Been there. simply can find no way to make this happen.

I  never questioned why the client wanted it back into 6.0.2

In this client's case, they had performed many painstaking hours tuning geometry settings in 6.1.4,

and there was absolutely no way to get that data into 6.0.2

Using a version later than 6.0.2 is not an option for this client. Long story... let's just say the client is not comfortable with any version later than 6.0.2 at this time.

Staying with the older version creates a hidden cost then.

Serious issue.

So much so, this is what my production machine desktop looks like today.

( I also occasionally use it as a watchpoint machine for cluster mode testing.)

shuttle-show_sage_wcr232-partial_dsktp_s

So, I tried the old trick of copying cues from the 6.1.2 project (openend in 6.1.4) and pasting them in a new 6.0.2 project. The cues will not paste in my 6.0.2 project. The "paste" option is greyed out, as if 6.1.4 recognizes some sort of offending item in the clipboard. Even tried to copy just one simple, single image media cue item void of any tween data.

Consistent with what I encountered trying the same tricks.

Is there any way around this?

None that I could find.

I did appeal to the Dataton AB development team, but no solution is available.

Any find/replace tricks I can run through the copied code to make it compliant with 6.0.2? All I need to copy are some video, image, and composition cues that have some very traditional tween tracks (opacity, scale, position). And the compositions contain simple image and video cues as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a very ugly hack if the cue if compatible with the older version.

1. Copy the cue from WATCHOUT 6.1.2

2. Paste it into notepad

3. On the third line change "WATCHMAKER" 6 1 2 0 to "WATCHMAKER" 6 0 2 0

4. Select the whole text in notepad and copy it. (Ctrl+A and then Ctrl+C)

5. Paste to WATCHOUT 6.0.2

If you lucky it works. =)

We need to improve the compatibility within major versions in the next major version.

I tried that. And I even used a single cue that had very minimal properties, and certainly used very legacy properties (opacity, position, scale). I thought perhaps there was change in use of line returns or something of the like that was offending the older version. I did nearly a verbatim string search and found the 3rd line version string to be really the only difference. Thanks for the suggestion though. I look forward to evaluating the next major version.

This thread got me curious, so I opened a very simple test show - two image files on the main timeline, one with opacity and scale tweens - and copied the cues into Notepad from Watchout 6.1.4 and 6.0.2. With a text editor that supports Diff, it's easy to find all the differences between the files. The version number at the top is one, but there are also structural differences in the data which probably explain why 6.0.2 won't accept data pasted from 6.1.4 - There is an extra property in 6.1.4 for the Interaction Name feature, for example, as well as an extra data object saving the state of a dialogue box. After removing these extra lines in the text file, the cues paste successfully into WO 6.0.2. So, for simple media cues at least, some search/replace could work, but other media types, compositions or tasks could be more tricky. Is this something people need to do on a regular basis?