Use generic output within watchout

nickelalloy

So, I can control a generic output from the timeline, as expected. But I can't work out how to use the value anywhere else within Watchout. Tween track formulas and task triggering expressions look for inputs not outputs.

From the manual:
"A Generic Variable can be controlled using cues on a timeline, just line a DMX-512 Output. However, its value isn’t sent to any external device in your system. Instead, it can be used internally to govern the behavior of Task triggering expressions (see “Using Outputs in Triggering Expressions”)." - But this doesn't seem to be accurate, or the manual doesn't explain how to actually acquire the values.

"Using Outputs in Triggering Expressions
Task expressions can use inputs, as described above, as well as numeric outputs. This can be used to build complex logic conditions, where the value of an output – such as a “Generic Variable” – governs the performance of a task." - But I can't see how to actually use the output anywhere.

Typing in the name of the Generic Output in a tween formula box or in a task expression box just gives me an error.

Any ideas?

2 hours ago, nickelalloy said:

So, I can control a generic output from the timeline, as expected. But I can't work out how to use the value anywhere else within Watchout. Tween track formulas and task triggering expressions look for inputs not outputs.

From the manual:
"A Generic Variable can be controlled using cues on a timeline, just line a DMX-512 Output. However, its value isn’t sent to any external device in your system. Instead, it can be used internally to govern the behavior of Task triggering expressions (see “Using Outputs in Triggering Expressions”)." - But this doesn't seem to be accurate, or the manual doesn't explain how to actually acquire the values.

Task expressions can use inputs, as described above, as well as numeric outputs. This can be used to build complex logic conditions, where the value of an output – such as a “Generic Variable” – governs the performance of a task." - But I can't see how to actually use the output anywhere.

Typing in the name of the Generic Output in a tween formula box or in a task expression box just gives me an error.

Any ideas?

What WATCHOUT version are you using?

I just tested using a generic output to trigger a task in WATCHOUT 6.2.2 and it worked.

I just typed in the name of the generic output in a Task trigger field and it accepted it. Not sure why your result was different.

I also placed an output cue on the main timeline for the generic output (with four tween points, set to 0% at the start, 0.01 seconds later set to 100%, 0.25 seconds later set  to 100%, 0.01 seconds later set to 0%, and that successfully triggered the auxiliary timeline.

GenericOutput-TriggerTask-test.png

2 hours ago, nickelalloy said:

You might want to re-read that. It does not say you can use a generic output in a tween formula, only in a task trigger.

20 minutes ago, jfk said:

What WATCHOUT version are you using?

So, I've tried again, and yes it works exactly as you suggested! Not sure why I was having issues before. Most likely user error ?

2 minutes ago, jfk said:

You might want to re-read that. It does not say you can use a generic output in a tween formula, only in a task trigger.

Yeah, you're quite right... would be nice though.

Thanks.

There is a way to accomplish what you want with tweens. i.e. a cue in a WATCHOUT timeline that controls tween aspects of other media objects. Not the most elegant, but workable.

This technique only works when online, it is disabled when offline. Essentially set up a DMX output for the programmable output. Then set up a DMX input with the same Universe and DMX channel number. This essentially transfers the programmed output to an input value which can then be used in a tween. This technique can be used when one tween value is used to affect multiple objects or it be used to accomplish a "Master level" control.