WANTED: dataton PAX

tom k

• 4 weeks later...

I found Ken KobylenskI from K X CAMERA in Santa Barbara CA who has some PAXes in stock. I bought one - a new one - and immediately after connecting the projectors and turning them on, nothing happened and after a few seconds something inside the PAX ended up in smoke ...

Ken sent me another PAX which he had tested before - I connected it to my projectors and it worked perfectly. For one week! Today I turned on the projectors again - nothing happened - the PAX didn't work - but again after a few moments something inside the PAX ended up in smoke ... 

HELP !!!

Well that clearly brings into question your power source. Can you be more specific than “… connected it to my projectors …” What kind of projectors? Model number of the PAX adaptor? Aged Ektagraphic IIII projectors are notorious for bad accessory power. Are you using a Dataton 24 VAC supply? PAX can derive power from a system connector and they can send power via the other system connector. So describe the system cable path (if any).

I use 3 Kodak Carousel S-AV 2050 AF and one Kodak Carousel S-AV 2050, 4 PAX-SAV ADAPTOR 3430, have no Dataton 24 VAC supply, the first SAV-Adaptor is connected to a S-AV 2050 AF ... and this configuration worked for years. But suddenly my PAX didn't work at all - so I started to look for a "new" one ....

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2023 at 5:45 PM, jfk said:

Barry is retired now and Media Fabricators is gone. Last I spoke with him a few months back he still had some gear left stored at his home. But he was preparing to send it to a scrap yard.

That is interesting to know, now I understand why I never got a reply to any of my email enquiries. However, their website is still up and running implying that they are open for business!

John

• 1 year later...

Hi! Sorry to coming in late here. I just had the same issue with my pax it went out in green smoke. I used it with my S-AV 2050 also. It was one of the green capacitors the middle one of three. Has anyone a cure for this? Any replacement capacitors? Should we change all of this at the same time?

Best regards, Dick

Hi Dick, a friend of mine who is electronics technician replaced ALL the green capacitors with new capacitors (same specifications but looking differently (orange)) - and my PAX is working properly again!!!! The green capacitors had a guaranteed durability of only 20 years! 

Best regards, Thomas

Hi Thomas! Thank you good to hear. I'll do the same and hope that the rest of the components made it through the accident. Do you possible know the specifications for the capacitors? I can read 33.25 on mine. I think that means 33 micro farad and 25 volts?

Best regards, Dick

It is 33 micro farad/25 volt. I changed the capacitors but I suspect another thing is toast also. Is there a chance that someone have a scheme of the pax unit? Would have been great.

Thanks, Dick