Midi control from ETC Eos lighting console

bgarrett

Hello all,

I am trying to trigger a timeline from a ETC Eos lighting console. Just wondering what hardware I would need to do this and how I would set up Watchout to see the trigger. Right now I am running WO 4.5. I don't own any midi interfaces. I have heard that m audio has a usb to midi interface. The WO display computer will be about 125' from the lighting console. So if there is some distance between them.

Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks,

Brent

Hello all,

I am trying to trigger a timeline from a ETC Eos lighting console. Just wondering what hardware I would need to do this and how I would set up Watchout to see the trigger. Right now I am running WO 4.5. I don't own any midi interfaces. I have heard that m audio has a usb to midi interface. The WO display computer will be about 125' from the lighting console. So if there is some distance between them.

Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks,

Brent

Any MIDI interface that is compatible with the version of Windows you are running should do well.

I personally use the MOTU FastLane USB. Relatively inexpensive, easy to find,

almost any musical instrument store will typically carry it.

I have used it successfully with WATCHOUT 4 and WATCHOUT 5 running on

Windows XP Home 32 bit and Windows 7 Professional, both 32 and 64 bit.

I have used it to chase MSC from a lighting console connected to Production (WATCHOUT 4 and WATCHOUT 5.0+)

and have also used it connected directly to WATCHOUT 5.1+ Display (no production station),

works like a charm. reference: WATCHOUT 5.1 - MIDI Show Control and DMX inputs in cluster mode, show report

Your 125' / 40m MIDI cable length should not be a problem

Great. The lighting console has USB out. So I would purchase two Moto fast lanes? One at the lighting console and one at the WO production computer and run a 125' midi cable between them. Would I have to barrel two midi cable together to make that distance?

I looked online for a 150' midi cable but couldn't find one.

Thanks,

Brent

Great. The lighting console has USB out. So I would purchase two Moto fast lanes? One at the lighting console and one at the WO production computer ...

The lighting console should have a standard MIDI jack built in like the one on the FastLane USB box,

you should only need one FastLane USB for the WATCHOUT computer.

and run a 125' midi cable between them. Would I have to barrel two midi cable together to make that distance?

I looked online for a 150' midi cable but couldn't find one.

Thanks,

Brent

Connecting multiple MIDI cables with barrels is valid.

Could also make your own custom length or order one from

one of the houses online who offer custom cable services, like Cables to Go.