windows 7 - minimize window mode

glulab

hi,

i have an watchout display on windows 7, when it start it run an minimize window mode. I have other 6 display identicals on win 7 with the same mainboards graphic cards etc.. but only one display minimize the windows on startup. I have tried to format and reinstall windows (and watchout 4.3) but the problem remain. Somebody have a solution? the same problem?

best regard

emanuele foti

Are you running Win 7 in 64bit or 32bit? I ran into all kinds of software issues in 64 bit mode with my 32 bit programs. I ran them under the XP mode/Vista modes in Win 7( 64bit) and still had issues.

It was not just Watchout but other software like Photoshop and others.

I reloaded Win 7 in 32bit(ie 86) and Watchout is happy and so are my other programs.

This might be part of the problem...

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the same problem under win7 pro 64bit, solved launching the display sw manually 'cause win autoexecute load it in window mode and I had to open the task manager to force close.

My opinion is that running a 32bit professional sw on a 64 bit os is an emergency set, I'm waiting for a 4.4 double version 'cause actually most of hardware providers came in with win7 display/producer pcs.

UPDATE: I've got a phone call from a friend who's expreriencing the same problem when He tries to put display windows in minimized mode to set up capture cards, even under xp...

My advice was to downgrade to 4.2.2, I'm starting to think there's a bug in 4.3 version...

have a nice day

Umberto

Hi all,

This is what we say about Windows 7 & WATCHOUT:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SOFTWARE/Operating system

Windows 7, requires WATCHOUT 4.2.x or later.

WATCHOUT 3.4.2 or older is NOT compatible with Windows 7 or 64-bit.

WATCHOUT 4.2.x supports a 64-bit OS, but is a 32-bit application,

like QuickTime and most of the codecs used in Windows,

and don't need or run any faster/better with more memory than 3 GB.

If you have a system with more memory than that, and want to use all of the memory

for other purposes, you'll need a 64-bit OS.

We recommend 32-bit Windows 7 SP1, Home Basic, Home Premium or Professional versions

- Windows Vista SP2 or Windows XP SP3, 32-bit - Home or Professional version can also be used

Latest QuickTime installed, 7.6.9 or newer:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Some other comments:

" I ran them under the XP mode/Vista modes in Win 7( 64bit) and still had issues"

This is not recommended, it will only slow WATCHOUT down and create other issues.

Most problems arise because Windows Media Center Features is not turned off, especially in Win7 64bit.

See below for more on this.

"i have uninstalled the catalyst control center and now work fine"

This means that your Display PC have not been tweaked and setup properly.

It's nothing magical with this, there has always been a need to tweak a PC for stable media playback, and very much more so with Windows 7, especially 64-bit.

There are many things that could be done to a WATCHOUT Display PC, to make it run more reliable & stable than a off-the-shelf PC.

Like always having the latest BIOS, peripheral, graphic- and capture-card drivers installed

Here are a list with guidelines on how to achieve this:

http://www.dataton.com/downloads/watchout/support/tweak/UAC_turned_off.png

http://www.dataton.com/downloads/watchout/support/tweak/Win7_Media_features_off.jpg

http://www.dataton.com/downloads/watchout/support/tweak/Windows_7_Tweaking_list_2.0.pdf

I would implement the full list on one machine, test and verify playback, and then image the others from that PC.

"My opinion is that running a 32bit professional sw on a 64 bit os is an emergency set, I’m waiting for a 4.4 double version

‘cause actually most of hardware providers came in with win7 display/producer pcs."

That might be so, but there are a bit more to it, than that. One thing lost with WATCHOUT as a

64-bit application, will be anything that relies on on 32-bit software & drivers, QuickTime for instance...

There will not be a 4.4 "double-version". That we will end up in 64-bit sometime in the future is likely,

but I don't think you will not see a big performance advantage because of 64bit.

WATCHOUT does not benefit from more memory than 3 GB yet, anyway.

We are running Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit in all our test and demo machines, without any of your troubles.

As I said above, there has always been a need to tweak a PC for stable media playback in a professional environment,

and very much more so with Windows 7.

Just because WATCHOUT is sold as a software only, does not mean that it will run flawless on any combination

of hardware, software, codecs and drivers. It's up to the PC supplier to test and verify a machine for stable media playback.

"UPDATE: I’ve got a phone call from a friend who’s expreriencing the same problem when He tries to put display windows in minimized mode to set up capture cards, even under xp…My advice was to downgrade to 4.2.2, I’m starting to think there’s a bug in 4.3 version…"

See my setup answer above, there is not a bug that we know of in 4.3 in this respect. Downgrading to 4.2.2 is maybe a temporary solution,

the problem is most likely found elsewhere, and has to be tracked down.

I would like to thank Mr. Amren for the really useful answer.

The guide provided on your post is essential for everyone who need to set up a display/producer machine, I just had a phone call with a guy who's beginning to set uo new display machines and I bet that the result will be awesome if he follows those simple rules before running Trueimage.

As WO operator I've learned that better hardware means more time to work on the timeline. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why, but I had a response to a similar thread where the thread was deleted. Possibly because the topics were so similar it was considered a duplicate?

Anyways, I have found that there are all sorts of hidden processes on a Windows 7 installation that interfere with W/O at the low level OS - a level that any software developer would have no control over. Some of these processes are capable of assuming priority from WATCHOUT and then forcing it out of full screen mode. You can access control of the processes by typing "msconfig" in the Start input text field and then pressing enter.

My suggestion is to go through the list of processes and disable any processes that pose a potential threat to the stability of W/O. I wish I had one of my machines in front of me so I could list the ones that I have disabled, but as soon as I found the magic recipe of disabled processes, I have no longer had the issue of W/O being forced out of full screen mode.

I hope this helps,

JJ Myers

It was my topic, I didnt see this one. I have a lot of faith in the "Win7 Tips and Tweaks" PDF that is located in this post. Either way, I have some work ahead of me, I just want to know when the WO version for Linux will be available! LOL. Thanks for all the posts and hopefully we can get this issue resolved.

BTW, Love the new forum!