My Watchout Server (GTX1080) having problem with 12k resolution

AGchino

Good Day Dataton Community,

Hello Dataton Community! I'm trying to use my watchout server with GTX1080 video card in 3 pcs 4K monitors.

HERE'S THE SITUATION

I'm playing a video with 12800 resolution and I'm expecting that it will run in 3 pcs 4K monitors which is equal to 12k resolution but it always having error.

I've tried using the 2 screens with the settings of 1080 resolution and the other screen set up to 4k resolution and it works.

I'm figuring out what's the real problem why I'm always having error with 12k resoluation using my 3pcs 4k monitors. I don't know if the problem is in the cable that I'm using because GTX1080 has 5 outs.. 3 Display Port, 1 HDMI, 1 DVI. I used 3 HDMI cable but the other 2 cables has DP adapter on it.

Does anyone tried using GTX1080 in playing video in 12k resolution? and Does anyone here have experienced in using Matrox c680 pcie x16 on your watchout server? Because if GTX1080 doesn't work in playing 12k resolution I'm planning to buy Matrox c680 pcie x16. Because it's cheaper and it has 6 outputs that can out 4k on it each output.

Thanks Guys I hope someone can help me with this problem.

Hello Everyone,

I'm new in using watchout. Does anyone here experienced using Matroxc680 pcie x16? Because I'm using GTX1080 and I'm planning to switch to Matroxc680 pcie x16 because it's cheaper and it has 6 outputs, each output can out 4k resolution. 

Is Matroxc680 pcie x16 is better? because I'm having problem  with GTX1080 in playing video with 12k resolution in watchout. 

I will highly appreciate all your comments and advice.

Thanks,

Are you using active display port to hdmi adapters?

Also, did you check the EDID in windows for those 3 monitors is set to 4k resolution?

Doing 3 4k resolutions in Watchout is not as easy as 3 x HD outs. There are many variables that need to be taken into considerationX

This being said, I'm not familiar with your specific graphic cards, but you certainly need to make sure the card support 4k, and you are using active DP to hdmi adapters (vs. passive).

Re: Matrox graphics for WATCHOUT use:

The answer on this question can be found by a short search in the Forum, for example this one thread:

http://forum.dataton.com/topic/2005-matrox-c900-video-cards/?hl=matrox

Nothing substantial has changed, Matrox graphics cards are geared towards many outputs and lots of pixels.

DirectX hardware acceleration support are there, but designed more for business level graphics. (Which they're good at!)

The later Matrox cards certainly can be used, but that will be at the lower end of performance for a WATCHOUT setup.

3 x 4K output/playback is entirely possible in WATCHOUT, with properly selected and set up hardware.

An AMD FirePro W7100 or RadeonPro WX7100 for example will easily do this.

I'm more wondering about other parts of your description:

- 12000 x 2160 video-file playback? Which codec? At what framerate?

- No mentioning of the rest of the system hardware? Processor? Disksystem?

All of this affect your playback capabilities, of course.

My 2 cents,

/jonas

I believe there's an upper limit on max size of a single video, ultimately dictated by the texture size supported by the graphics card. Currently likely 8k-by-8k for most graphics cards. So a 12000 pixel wide video may fail to play for this rason alone. Dealing with very wide videos often requires pre-splitting the video. In your case, the video could be pre-split into three 4k wide videos.

Playback performance may of course depend on a number of other factors, as pointed out by Jonas and others above.

hard to find clear specs on that card.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1080/

What I did find indicated,

Standard Display Connectors - DP 1.4, HDMI 2.0b, DL-DVI

(DisplayPort 1.2 Certified, DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 Ready)

You have the card, is it just one each of those three connectors?

Dual Link-DVI is bandwidth limited to 3840 x 2160 @ 30p,

if that is used for 4K then WATCHOUT will need to be set to

30 fps which effects all outputs.

If you leave wo set to 60 while the GPU is running 30,

playback will be unacceptable.