No Audio Win 7 x64 on Display PC

Dimi

Hi,

We have a Display PC WO 5.1 (Win 7x64, Mobo Asus P8Z68-V Pro, Radeon 6950 Graphics) and the thing is that I don't get any Sound out of my Display PC when it's playing videos. Although the sound plays in quicktime (and windows media player as well) on this PC outside of watchout. When I Play Audio Files on this Display PC I do get sound out of watchout.

I also tried various USB sound cards (the sound output of the blackmagic card too) and it is always the same.

So the same files obviously play in quicktime (e.g. AAC track within the video) and windows media player but not in watchout.

I know I Can play the sound over my Production Laptop but I am tired of this cause after programming I would like to turn the Preview to Thumbnails for performance issues.

thanks for your advise I know that someone in this forum can tell me where my "Videosound switch ON" is buried.

I know I Can play the sound over my Production Laptop but I am tired of this cause after programming I would like to turn the Preview to Thumbnails for performance issues.

I quote you and add an off topic - but related comment, I would ask if there is a way to get audio playback from production computer having switched preview quality to thumbnail. This was the way until vers.4, but now on vers.5 if i want to playback a spare backup audio line, i need to have quality preview, and thats not safe during live events with huge files, unexpected jumping or changes in timeline.

thanks in advance

problem solved:

for what reason ever:

every file is playing as it should on my production pc (inside watchout) as well on any player on my display pc outside of watchout.

if a play *.mp4 video files i don't get a sound when I rename them *.mov (even *.aac for a video file!!!) I get sound. so just have to avoid *.mp4

thanks

Dimi

Some thoughts on this subject:

- Always use audio for video files, separated from the video file for better stability/reliability.

Preferably .wav-files

- .mp4 with embedded AAC-audio or AAC-audio is not supported within WATCHOUT:s codec.

- QuickTime is not involved in the playback here, hence if it plays in QT Player does not tell you anything.

If the file plays in Production but NOT in a Display computer, there must be a difference in what codecs

that are installed.

Recommended is to ONLY install WATCHOUT and latest QuickTime and turn off Windows

Media Center Features. All other installed codec-packs, DVD or Media-players will potentially affect

stable WATCHOUT playback.

hi,

thanks for your thoughts.

- Always use audio for video files, separated from the video file for better stability/reliability.

Preferably .wav-files

In some cases it's not a question of not wanting to seperate audio and video it's just a question of time....

- .mp4 with embedded AAC-audio or AAC-audio is not supported within WATCHOUT:s codec.

alright .mp4 not supported. I can live with that, but why does it play in production mode but not in display mode if it isn't supported? cause it shouldn't play either way even if there would be different codec packs installed.

If the file plays in Production but NOT in a Display computer, there must be a difference in what codecs

that are installed.

OK maybe a noob question but one I am very interested in: why does renaming the extension solve the problem (eg from .mp4 to .mov). The inlying file is still the same(in my case the AAC sound)!

Just to clarify. MP4 video is supported (typically the video in such a file is encoded as H.264). Although we don't explicitly support AAC in WATCHOUT (and, as Jonas says, you're advised to use separate, uncompressed WAV audio), AAC will actually play fine under Win7, since Win7 supports this format. Out of the box, WinXP does not.