DVI / Displayport Extender

Alex Ramos

Dear all,

We need to acquire some signal extender.

Either  DVI extender or DisplayPort.

This will be used to connect a ATI Firepro V7800 to a Samsung video wall the display is equipped with displayPort input and DVI.

At the moment I'm using:  firepro -> displayport to DVI converter -> DVI  Parrot -> Gefen DVI Over 1 CAT6 -> monitor

Its not the first or second time that I get a bank screen, the signal fail for about 1 second and comes back again.

All machines are working 24/24

Do you have any good experience with extenders ?

What brand, model do you recommend ?  

...fiber, SDI, CAT, backmagic, gefen, extron ...

Thanks in advance.

Alex

• Dataton Partner

Dear all,

We need to acquire some signal extender.

Either  DVI extender or DisplayPort.

This will be used to connect a ATI Firepro V7800 to a Samsung video wall the display is equipped with displayPort input and DVI.

At the moment I'm using:  firepro -> displayport to DVI converter -> DVI  Parrot -> Gefen DVI Over 1 CAT6 -> monitor

Its not the first or second time that I get a bank screen, the signal fail for about 1 second and comes back again.

All machines are working 24/24

Do you have any good experience with extenders ?

What brand, model do you recommend ?  

...fiber, SDI, CAT, backmagic, gefen, extron ...

Thanks in advance.

Alex

Hi Alex, you forget to share the distance you have to bridge. IMO this is quite important in establishing the tool of choice. 

Issue you describe sound familiar, had it with certain Extron devices. Extron finally concluded after extensive testing and measuring that the type of cat6 we used generated too much signal loss (in our case being "rental-proof" cables. We now only use fiber, but again, if you don't need the distance, cat6 might do.  Could it be the distance / signal loss causing the issue in your case?

• Dataton Partner

40 mtrs would allow cat ext to be a valid option.

No experience with dp extenders nor the bmd dvi-sdi ext but i know that this would A) limit you to video-resolution if staying on sdi OR B) would mean you'd need the converter to go back to dvi (allowing you to run pc resolution over sdi as does barcolink for example) and i heard this back-converter introduces an extra delay. If that's not an issue it would be an option but much more expensive as a good cat dvi or dp extender i'd reckon...