MST Hubs & Watchout 5

JBondoux

Show Sage has been testing the Club 3D MST hub. While we are successful in obtaining three outputs,
we have not tested enough to certify its reliability. Initial testing did indicate some stability issues that may be related to heat,
as they appeared later in the testing process and we ran out of time to track them down. Will report back after out next bench session.

Thanks for your feedback.

I ended up buying one for an immediate short term fix.  I cannot seem to have my HD7970 register my devices connected to the hub.  Windows display properties (and the Catalyst software) show three 640x480 devices but am unable to change resolution.  Club3D don't seem to have any drivers for this device.  Did you happen to notice this and find a solution?

I need to check, I thought Catalyst Control Center setup the DisplayPort 1.2 output.

Should not need a driver specific to the hub, but let me confirm that, kind of busy around here today so may take a while ...

Hi,

EDID, yes...

So here's the problem:

There are 4 x DP, 1 x DVI-I and 1 x DVI-D on each of our HD7970 cards (we have two of these servers).  We also have 12 VGA projectors expecting UXGA (1600x1200).

Using Startech DP-VGA converters work perfectly for the first 4 outputs, but both of the DVI's have difficulty.  All the DVI-VGA adapters including passive and active seem to limit the VGA signal to 1080p except the Lindy active DVI-D to VGA unit.  This works fine on the DVI-I output, but as soon as it plugs into the DVI-D it kills all six outputs and Windows sees 6 x 640x480 default displays.  We have tried using a DVI-Parrot on the various combinations of adapters but don't get further than outputting 1080p.  This is why I decided to try out this MST hub.  The advertising suggests it can output three streams of VGA with standard VGA adapters (no mention of EDID managers) - as all my other DP ports function as intended I had hoped I wouldn't need to invest in 6 parrots.

Anyway from your suggestion I have tried Parrots on the DP ports and still the Windows display sees 3 x 640x480 displays.  I bought two hubs, both with the same issue.

Have I any other options?

Thanks,

Joel

Hi,

EDID, yes...

So here's the problem:

There are 4 x DP, 1 x DVI-I and 1 x DVI-D on each of our HD7970 cards (we have two of these servers). We also have 12 VGA projectors expecting UXGA (1600x1200).

Right there defines either six digital output or five analog output maximum.

Using Startech DP-VGA converters work perfectly for the first 4 outputs, but both of the DVI's have difficulty. All the DVI-VGA adapters including passive and active seem to limit the VGA signal to 1080p except the Lindy active DVI-D to VGA unit. This works fine on the DVI-I output, but as soon as it plugs into the DVI-D it kills all six outputs and Windows sees 6 x 640x480 default displays.

Stop that! Once you do that all bets are off.

Do not plug a vga (analog) adaptor into a digital only DVI-D connection.

Yes, I know some of cards provide a DVI-I connector for a DVI-D restricted port,

that is so a DVI-I cable can be used for the digital signal, not to provide VGA output.

that output configuration is not capable of six vga, only five.

You might be able to use a digital to analog converter, but that is not what an active adaptor does.

Hi,

Has anyone tried using a Multi Stream Transport (MST) Display Port Hub with v5.5?

Thanks,

Joel

Don't have the MST DP Hub myself, though I do have an ASUS HD7970 Matrix Platinum.

According to the limited FAQ at the ASUS website -

http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/114045/

...you can use 1 MST Hub + 3 other outputs for 6 displays, or 2 MST Hubs for 6 displays.

And as jfk has said, the DVI-D output port requires a converter if you are using VGA as the final output. A client of mine once used his AnalogWay switcher and that worked.

Not sure why you are getting 640x480 on all your outputs, but I did get the same (640x480) on one of my DP outputs today after installing new DP-VGA Active Adaptors on two of the DP ports (the first 2 from the top down, then tried DP1 and DP3, then back to DP 1 & 2). Most times was after a shutdown & boot. Eventually, the port (DP#2) that showed 640x480 allowed me to change the resolution, rather than being greyed out. Since then, the resolution I set has been fine (1280x1024) for both monitors, but there is a blink (short black out of about 1 sec duration) now and then.

Thomas Leong