Help with Layer Conditions

limeworks

Hi Everyone, 

I have read the watchout manual on the topic, but i still cannot seem to understand how to get conditional layers to work.

I am assuming these aren't exclusively for use with pickups etc, and can be used with control inputs etc?

Any further advice or guidance regarding setup / usage would be brilliant.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Everyone, 

I have read the watchout manual on the topic, but i still cannot seem to understand how to get conditional layers to work.

I am assuming these aren't exclusively for use with pickups etc, and can be used with control inputs etc?

IP control, yes.

Any further advice or guidance regarding setup / usage would be brilliant.

Thanks,

Rob

Bit of a vague question. Let's start with what is documented in the User's Guide.

the IP control command is enableLayerCond, which is used to turn conditional layers on or off [page 265].

Granted, combining the state of all 32 conditions into a single value (page 255)

puts some of the work on your control system.

i.e. you can not send a simple command that only affects one condition.

You must send the desired state of all 32 conditions just to change one of them.

so the control system must maintain the status of all conditions

and combine them into the single value needed by the command.

Can you re-phrase your question from that baseline?

Also, the behavuor of the Preferences - Condition tab can be confusing.

Any condition you check on that page becomes a 'default' ON condition.

When any conditions are enabled in preferences,

and you send a enableLayerCond 0,

it will NOT turn them all off.

Instead, it will leave on any condition enabled in the preferences Condition tab.

So if you want all to really go off when enableLayerCond 0 is sent,

they must also be all off on the preferences condition tab.

Sorry for the vague question JFK - i guess i simply don't understand how to use layerconditions. 

What i take from your response is that they will respond to TCP commands - is that correct?

Else - how can i modify their state?

I understand how to set a layer etc.

Thanks for your clarification regarding Preferences - that does make alot of sense now!

I just don't understand how i control their state in a dynamic way.

Thanks,

Rob

Sorry for the vague question JFK - i guess i simply don't understand how to use layerconditions. 

What i take from your response is that they will respond to TCP commands - is that correct?

Correct

JFK: I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have been playing with conditional layers recently. I was wondering if it's possible to use them in the expressions used to trigger auxiliary timelines. I've been using generic inputs as flags to check for active tasks (and prevent other tasks running concurrently) and just wondered whether it was possible to use a conditional layer (on/off) instead of checking for the value of a generic input. It's not mentioned in the expressions section of the manual, but I wasn't sure that was necessarily exhaustive.

Thanks.