overwrite cluster files manually

spoogie

hi guys

im working on an installation  that i need to change files on the cluster manually..

i need to go to the path where the cluster saves the media and overwrite it with different files from outer custom app.

the files will be EXACTLY the same name and type.

the cluster is controlled from an automation system so restarting/reloading the show each time i overwrite the files is not a problem..

the thing is that when i go to - C:\program files\dataton\watchout 5\  i cant see the "shows" folder,

instead this folder is located in - C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Dataton\WATCHOUT 5\Shows..

my first question is: did the path for the "shows" folder was change?

because i know it was in the first path i mentioned all these years..

anyway i tested and overwritten a media file from the 2nd path, reload watchpoint and the "old" file was still shown on screen, which is very weird cause i couldnt find it anywhere on the cluster hard drive.

when i deleted the file completly from the cluster (just to see what happens) and reload the show the cluster reply with this error:

"Error 7 0 "No File Server Specified"  but the "old" file was still on screen ;)

so where is this file??  where the cluster takes it from if its not in the "shows" folder?

the production used for uploading the show to the cluster is running win 8.1(yeah i know) if thats make any difference for my case..(the cluster is win 7)

i know it might be a weird workaround but thats the case for that installation..

btw

this method works great "manipulating" the production computer if i restart watchout each time i overwrite the files manually, but thats not helping me cause were not gonna use a production there.

any ideas?

very sorry for the long post ;)

thx

hi guys

im working on an installation  that i need to change files on the cluster manually..

That is not permitted and is not going to work unless you use dynamic image server to accomplish it.

i need to go to the path where the cluster saves the media and overwrite it with different files from outer custom app.

the files will be EXACTLY the same name and type.

It is not that simple.

the cluster is controlled from an automation system so restarting/reloading the show each time i overwrite the files is not a problem..

the thing is that when i go to - C:\program files\dataton\watchout 5\  i cant see the "shows" folder,

instead this folder is located in - C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Dataton\WATCHOUT 5\Shows..

No. Sounds like you have two copies of watchpoint installed in different locaitons. Also not a good idea.

Either that or you did not follow the first recommendation when preparing a display and UAC is not disabled.

because i know it was in the first path i mentioned all these years..

anyway i tested and overwritten a media file from the 2nd path, reload watchpoint and the "old" file was still shown on screen, which is very weird

not weird - expected.

cause i couldnt find it anywhere on the cluster hard drive.

That is because still image files do not play back from the original file.

They play back from the cache that is created when WATCHOUT Production (or WATCHNET)

transfers the file to display.

Dynamic Image Server would provide the function you seek.

when i deleted the file completly from the cluster (just to see what happens) and reload the show the cluster reply with this error:

"Error 7 0 "No File Server Specified"  but the "old" file was still on screen ;)

so where is this file??  where the cluster takes it from if its not in the "shows" folder?

Comes from the cache folder, and you do not get to mess with that data.

the production used for uploading the show to the cluster is running win 8.1(yeah i know) if thats make any difference for my case..(the cluster is win 7)

Nope.

i know it might be a weird workaround but thats the case for that installation..

btw

this method works great "manipulating" the production computer if i restart watchout each time i overwrite the files manually, but thats not helping me cause were not gonna use a production there.

WATCHNET can provide the function as well.

any ideas?

very sorry for the long post ;)

thx

Sounds like you don't have UAC disabled, as described on page 227 of the manual. Fix this, and your Shows folder will go into the app folder as before. You should then delete the folder in the other location to save some disk space. It's Windows that redirects the folder to th location you mention when UAC is active.

This should be doable using a proxy media item, setting its file transfer mode to "manual", as described on page 139 and 141 of the WATCHOUT manual.

Mike