WO6 green rendering error with Hap

mfbergmann

We have discovered an issue playing back some content. After running a show for a while, some of the media renders as green on both the Display computers and the Production computer in Stage preview. Once this begins on one piece of media, it starts to occur on others as well. A reboot of the computers resolves the issue, but it is not consistent on the amount of time after which it occurs.

All of the media being used is either HapQ or Hap Alpha. Resolutions are 1920 x 1080. During the moment that the problem happens, there are 6 layers of video running. 

This is an issue that we have seen before with h.264 files, but not yet with Hap. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

This is not a problem I've encountered.

Are you saying you have this with H.264 as well as HAP codecs?

How long does it take for this problem to occur? How many times does the video play during that time?

Are you saying that restarting WATCHOUT doesn't correct it; you have to reboot the entire computer to fix it?

Mike

It has occurred when running a large amount of H.264 files before. 

In this case, it happened after a few hours of rehearsals, so perhaps running the video maybe 20 times. The video does not loop, but when it happens it is as soon as starting to play that specific file.

Indeed, I just restarted Watchout and loaded the show file again, and then ALL of the media showed the same problem. Only a full reboot of the computer solved it.

So far it has not happened again. The only change that I have made is running in Wireframe mode for the show (I was rehearsing using Best Quality).

I've totally seen this when Watchout maxes out the number of h.264 files a piece of hardware can play.  Typically the last one you try to play turns green, then the watchout display software becomes stable and eventually crashes.  However, under these circumstances it doesn't occur in the Stage window... Which is what MFB seems to be describing.

When watchout6 maxes out the number of hap files the hardware can play I find it handles this far more gracefully, it simply drops frames in my experience.

Alex

Indeed, I just restarted Watchout and loaded the show file again, and then ALL of the media showed the same problem. Only a full reboot of the computer solved it.

If a restart of WATCHOUT doesn't solve the problem, and the only thing that helps is a reboot of the computer, it's definitely a driver bug. Try another graphics card (if this is a desktop class computer), or at least another driver version.

Mike

We are using our newer ShowSage machines for the display computers. The strange thing is that when the issue occurs, it happens on both the stage preview and on the display computer’s output, which are different video cards.

Production computer is running 

Core i7 3.5Ghz
16GB ram
SSD
Nvidia GTX 670

Display computers:

Core i7 3Ghz
16GB ram
Intel 700 series SSD
AMD FirePro W1700

I had a similar issue the other day with WO6. I'd been using HAP files all day with no problem. Then I brought in a new HAP file (same exact rendering process as all the others), and it came up in the stage window as a yellow and green jumbled mess. I'd never seen this before.

After that, a Pro Res file  did the same. And then an MPEG2 file did the same.

The display machine also displayed them like this.

I had to do a full reboot to fix the issue.

I've tried it in WO5 and I can't replicate the issue with the MPEG2 and the ProRes.

It was directly before doors, so I didn't have time to document it properly. Will try and replicate next week and send through some better info.

If a restart of WATCHOUT doesn't solve the problem, and the only thing that helps is a reboot of the computer, it's definitely a driver bug. Try another graphics card (if this is a desktop class computer), or at least another driver version.

Mike

Another GPU in the production computer?  Or the display?  I believe Micheal was saying that the issue was happening in the preview in the stage window, as well as on the display.