Black (blank) screen after turning off and turning on projector. Watchpax.

Sergey Ogirya

Hello, guys!

Have some issues. I hope you will help me to figure it out...

We have Watchpax and wathpax2 and active miniDP to DVI adaptors (which came with Wathchpaxes). We have just bought them. Watchout 6.1
We have next projectors: Panasonic PT-DZ870EL and PT-DZ10KE. Same settings. 

Watchpaxes are connected via DVI cable. 

So, if during the show I turn off Panasonic PT-DZ10KE and then turn it back on I see the black ( blank) screen (but sound continues to play). Every time.

In Window mode (then I go to Windows Desktop) I have no such problem. After turning off the projector and turning in back on the Windows Desktop is there. If I restart Watchpax, it starts play show. But if I again turn off and then turn of the projector, I see the black screen.
With Watchpax and with Watchpax2 I have the same problem. 
With Panasonic PT-DZ870EL I  have no such problem. 

I would be very grateful for the ideas and suggestions!!!!

P.S. I also had same problem years ago with Watchout 4 and mobile pc with DVI output and DVI connection to the projector.
Lately I had same problem with Gibabyte Brix (with Watchout 5.5) which was connected to a projector via HDMI - DVI cable (HDMI output from PC and DVI input to the projector)

Hello, guys!

Have some issues. I hope you will help me to figure it out...

We have Watchpax and wathpax2 and active miniDP to DVI adaptors (which came with Wathchpaxes). We have just bought them. Watchout 6.1
We have next projectors: Panasonic PT-DZ870EL and PT-DZ10KE. Same settings. 

Watchpaxes are connected via DVI cable. 

So, if during the show I turn off Panasonic PT-DZ10KE and then turn it back on I see the black ( blank) screen (but sound continues to play). Every time.
P.S. I also had same problem years ago with Watchout 4 and mobile pc with DVI output and DVI connection to the projector.
Lately I had same problem with Gibabyte Brix (with Watchout 5.5) which was connected to a projector via HDMI - DVI cable (HDMI output from PC and DVI input to the projector)

That would be considered normal.

WATCHPAX are highly sensitive to any changes in EDID.

Displays / projectors should always be powered on and connected prior to powering up WATCHPAX.

Any disconnection or power down of the projectors will take the WATCHPAX down,

requiring a reboot. 

This is considered normal.

If you wish to avoid this, add a hardware EDID manager to each output to isolate the display

and provide constant reliable EDID to the WATCHPAX.

In Window mode (then I go to Windows Desktop) I have no such problem. After turning off the projector and turning in back on the Windows Desktop is there. If I restart Watchpax, it starts play show. But if I again turn off and then turn of the projector, I see the black screen.
With Watchpax and with Watchpax2 I have the same problem. 

Not exactly sure about that, it may be the difference between Windows GDI rendering mode (WATCHOUT Window mode)
and hardware accelerated Direct X 3D rendering mode (WATCHOUT Full screen mode).

With Panasonic PT-DZ870EL I  have no such problem. 
I would be very grateful for the ideas and suggestions!!!!

I suspect the other projector maintains EDID when "turned off" overcoming this issue,

but that is just a guess.

Suffice is to say, for reliable operation,
WATCHPAX should have constant uninterrupted EDID signal from power up to power down.

I think Jim has identified the issue.  This can happen in many situations.  I have seen it with LCD TVs (especially consumer ones).  Some will supply an EDID even when in "standby", others totally kill the EDID and Watchout goes bonkers (I usually run from a computer, but the situation is the same).  As Jim said, the most stable method is to have constant EDID regardless of display device.

Jim, thank you so much for the detailed answer!

Steve, thank you for the update. What kind of video interface connection have you used for whose LCD TVs?

We have decided to leave DVI connection and it's EDID complications. We've tried DVI - HDMI cable, and it solved the issue. 

HDMI, DVl, DisplayPort - does not matter, all are sensitive to EDID issues.

Curious that in your case HDMI has proven more robust than DVI,

all my experience has been just the opposite.

Makes me wonder if the MDP-DVI adaptor may have been a root cause of the issue.

But then again, typically the dual mode MDP port of the  WATCHPAX2 are not sensitive to adaptors.

Steve, thank you for the update. What kind of video interface connection have you used for whose LCD TVs?

It depends on the application and the budget.  For a recent installation, we simply made sure the computers were turned off before the TVs (the low budget approach).  If you have a bit of a budget, the Gefen DVI detective will do the trick (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-dvi-edidn.jsp?prod_id=4714).  For live events, we quite often have switcher in line.  A switcher will not only keep constant signal to the computers, it will keep a constant signal to the projectors regardless of what happens to the computers.  Good luck!