Sync Keynote or PPT to WO6 using Timecode

milra

Hi,

is it possible to sync keynote presentation or powerpoint to watchout 6 thru timecode, for instance when keynote select a slide the watchout trigger a cue to display output.. 

is there any special equipment or software to make it work.

Thank you,

Timecode would be a very bad way to perform cue based synchronization.

Timecode is normally used for continuos run.

I do not know if it is possible to send an IP command from keynote,

but if it can, that would be the best way to go.

Take a showcontrol system as central control unit (Medialon Manager is my favorite)

Devices to be controlled:

- Watchout

- PC or Mac, using keyboard emulator software (Ethernet of RS232)

- I/O device for cues from the presenter (wired or wireless)

Now you have full control over your show

Perfect Cue from dsan or Master Cue from interspaceind both may be able to do it since their remote units are user re-programmable and the units can be connected to at least 2 computers via USB.

So perhaps re-program one of the remote buttons to the spacebar, which will trigger both Powerpoint's next slide, and Watchout's active Timeline.

That said, it also depends on how your Watchout Timeline is programmed to play/pause since the spacebar is a toggle key for both, whereas with Powerpoint it is always a 'next slide' command.

Perfect Cue from dsan or Master Cue from interspaceind both may be able to do it since their remote units are user re-programmable and the units can be connected to at least 2 computer via USB.

So perhaps re-program one of the remote buttons to the spacebar, which will trigger both Powerpoint's next slide, and Watchout's active Timeline.

That aid, it also depends on how your Watchout Timeline is programmed to play/pause since the spacebar is a toggle key for both, whereas with Powerpoint it is always a 'next slide' command.

WATCHOUT has a positive next cue command as well - the 0 on the numeric keypad is play only (no toggle)

• 4 weeks later...

When I read lml's post, he says he wants WO to follow Powerpoint or Keynote. As far as I see this is completely possible with timecode, but not very nice.

You can play a small timecode-audiofile on every slide, let's say 2 seconds, and feed it into WO. After a short sync delay the timeline follows the timecode and so you can trigger Aux-timelines and whatever. The drawback is the sync delay, aka preroll and all other known limitations of timecode itself.

For Keynote I once have built a very elegant solution with a software called Midipipe. With Midipie you can send MSC commands triggered by Applescripts. Keynote is very scriptable and so you can generate a "Goto Cue" command for every slide. When you use a RTP-Midi driver you can even omit any additional Midi hardware. Midipipe is also working the other way, so you also can switch slides triggered by a Midi note sent from Watchout.

Dorian

When I read lml's post, he says he wants WO to follow Powerpoint or Keynote. As far as I see this is completely possible with timecode, but not very nice.

You can play a small timecode-audiofile on every slide, let's say 2 seconds, and feed it into WO. After a short sync delay the timeline follows the timecode and so you can trigger Aux-timelines and whatever. The drawback is the sync delay, aka preroll and all other known limitations of timecode itself.

For Keynote I once have built a very elegant solution with a software called Midipipe. With Midipie you can send MSC commands triggered by Applescripts. Keynote is very scriptable and so you can generate a "Goto Cue" command for every slide. When you use a RTP-Midi driver you can even omit any additional Midi hardware.

Midipipe is also working the other way, so you also can switch slides triggered by a Midi note sent from Watchout.

Dorian

Very good information, sounds like a much better way to do this.

One comment, WATCHOUT has no capability to output MIDI of any kind,

WATCHOUT MIDI is input only.