switches ip/udp traffic

Tyskern

Hi there dear network.

I have an issue with watchout and networking. I can open my project, go online, no issues. Go to a cue with a test-image. works.
Go to next image in timeline, and suddenly nothing happens. The display computer does not follow the 'timeline' of the production computer. Production computer goes to image B, while Display is still showing image A. (And no error messages btw.)
Now if i go to image B ( in prod-computer) and press either ctrl-d (update) or go online-offline again, then image B will be displayed from the display computer.
So some network traffic is going through, some is apparently not.
And this problem is not consistent. its intermittent. It seems to me to start appearing after about 15 mins or so. but dont quote me on that.

If I go very locally and use a small stupid switch between prod and display then everything will work fine.
So this has got to be about the network switches used at the house.

The house mentioned is a theatre and we have connected a lot of stuff together with network switches, as one would need to do in a big house. It sort of has to be that way..
We have some Planet SGSW-24040 where one can setup ports the way you want.

How would one need to setup the switches in order for WO to function correctly.
What kind of traffic is WO really using. I have no black belt in networking, but i know there is a difference with IP and UPD traffic. 
My network-dude is asking how WO wants things to be. And I really dont know.. Does anyone?

Watchout v6.2.2
win7 on display, win 7 on production.
tweaks done..

hoping for someone to share some thoughts..

Torbjørn

5 hours ago, Tyskern said:

Hi there dear network.

I have an issue with watchout and networking. I can open my project, go online, no issues. Go to a cue with a test-image. works.
Go to next image in timeline, and suddenly nothing happens. The display computer does not follow the 'timeline' of the production computer. Production computer goes to image B, while Display is still showing image A. (And no error messages btw.)
Now if i go to image B ( in prod-computer) and press either ctrl-d (update) or go online-offline again, then image B will be displayed from the display computer.
So some network traffic is going through, some is apparently not.

Agreed. Likely, TCP/IP is getting through, UDP is not. Multiple potential causes for that.

And this problem is not consistent. its intermittent. It seems to me to start appearing after about 15 mins or so. but dont quote me on that.

Shot in the dark, rare, but I have seen both managed and unmanaged switches that's feature set included "security functions".

The master in any WATCHOUT System (in your case the production computer) is continually UDP broadcasting timing information, transport control, show name and show status information, etc.

Eventually the "secure" switch decides that WATCHOUT is an attack (DOS, UDP storm, UDP flood, etc) and blocks further UDP traffic. Just a hunch.

If I go very locally and use a small stupid switch between prod and display then everything will work fine.
So this has got to be about the network switches used at the house.

Well there you go.

The house mentioned is a theatre and we have connected a lot of stuff together with network switches, as one would need to do in a big house. It sort of has to be that way..
We have some Planet SGSW-24040 where one can setup ports the way you want.

How would one need to setup the switches in order for WO to function correctly.
What kind of traffic is WO really using. I have no black belt in networking, but i know there is a difference with IP and UPD traffic. 
My network-dude is asking how WO wants things to be. And I really dont know.. Does anyone?

I think what is above addresses that. If you need further clarification, post back.

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Tyskern said:

turned out to be a f**ed up switch. 
But at least I seem to have confirmed my suspicion of UDP traffic for timeline changes, and IP traffic for online/update.
thanks for help.

T

Yes, UDP is used for transport commands, show status and synchronization. IP is used for timeline jumps and all file transfers. Also, after a pause is sent via UDP it is backed up / confirmed by an IP goToTime.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive such an old post, but the same issue happened again. (I work at the same theatre as OP)

Last night during a show, everything was working perfectly until at the end a cue was not run on the display machine - but was running on the production laptop. Which to me indicates the same issue. I have not been able to reproduce this error though.

Our network guy says the switches are running as they should, so he thinks the issue is with WO, the production laptop or the display machine.

No error messages in WO or anything, nothing in the log.

Is there any network (or otherwise) settings in the production laptop itself I should be aware of regarding this issue? Or in the display machine? I just want to eliminate that possibility before I go back to blaming the network/switch.. ;) It is only on this stage with this setup of prod. laptop & display machine we've experienced this. On another stage we have a similar setup, but never seen this particular issue.

Thanks for any pointers you might have..

Å