Processor vs. Video Card in Affecting Latency

RFrendt

I am specifying a hardware upgrade (media servers) for a client's existing Watchout v. 5 system, in order to add live video feed capability.  I understand the importance of the capture card in affecting latency issues, but which server parameter tends to affects latency more - processing power or video card capability?  I may not have enough budget to supply premium components for both (it's a five- server system), so I am wondering if there is a preferred way to prioritize the upgrades.

Rick Frendt, Theatrical Projections & Design

16 hours ago, RFrendt said:

I am specifying a hardware upgrade (media servers) for a client's existing Watchout v. 5 system, in order to add live video feed capability.  I understand the importance of the capture card in affecting latency issues, but which server parameter tends to affects latency more - processing power or video card capability? ...

With progressive input signals - neither. Progressive signal capture latency is primarily a function of the capture card and its driver. 

CPU does come into play when de-interlacing captured interlaced signals. But I am pretty sure that is a go/no go situation rather than a latency concern.

WATCHOUT does add latency in the process of rendering the complete image, but again CPU and GPU are pretty much in a go/no go situation as it relates to processing power. Rendering latency time will not vary with CPU/GPU power/speed. Instead, they will fail to keep up and start dropping frames once the processing power thresholds are exceeded.