Audio mute/unmute By DMX

Lucas Heerings

I am curious why you would not control master audio mute at the audio system?

"What i know you can is with DMX controlling the complete audio volume but that is not ideal. "

??? Why? Do not set audio volume with the DMX input, simply multiply all audio tweens by the input value.

"I need one channel to mute the audio and one channel to unmute the audio."

That seems unnecessarily complicated. One channel at 0% for off/mute and 100% for on / unmute would make more sense would it not?

There is no audio system behind the Watchpax. it goes straight to the speakers.

??? Why? Do not set audio volume with the DMX input, simply multiply all audio tweens by the input value.

DMX is used for more than controlling the watchpax. When you want to change the volume you need to change the programming in the DMX controller. When we get a mute/unmute we can set the volume in watchpax.

That seems unnecessarily complicated. One channel at 0% for off/mute and 100% for on / unmute would make more sense would it not?

agree when possible this situation is better. 

4 hours ago, Lucas Heerings said:

There is no audio system behind the Watchpax. it goes straight to the speakers.

DMX is used for more than controlling the watchpax. When you want to change the volume you need to change the programming in the DMX controller. When we get a mute/unmute we can set the volume in watchpax.

agree when possible this situation is better. 

Are you saying it is not possible? If it is possible, then the solution is quite simple. Otherwise, the solution using two channels is quite complex - you will need a TCP string output, a generic input, two auxiliary timelines and the two DMX inputs. Either single channel or two channels you need to multiply all audio tweens by the designated input value. And how do you propose to change the mute channel and un-mute channel? There has to be a state change from false (DMX set to a predetermined value or range of values) to true (DMX set to a different predetermined value or range of values) to trigger a mute change event.

Well I am new to Watchout and I could not find this function. our reseller did also not know the solution. Can you explain how to set up the function you describe. 

for sure: The only thing my Controller can send is DMX. I can't sent a TCP or UDP command from my controller. 

25 minutes ago, Lucas Heerings said:

Well I am new to Watchout and I could not find this function.

It is not a built in function, you build a custom set of functions using the available tools in WATCHOUT.

our reseller did also not know the solution. Can you explain how to set up the function you describe. 

for sure: The only thing my Controller can send is DMX.

Yes, I can explain it, but before I go through that exercise, need specifics so I do not have to do it multiple times.

• WATCHOUT version you are using?

• DMX universe and channel for engage mute. Value that will be sent to trigger (easiest way is if 0 value is not active, any non-zero value is trigger, but if you need something else, please describe)

• DMX universe and channel for release mute. Value that will be sent to trigger  (easiest way is if 0 value is not active, any non-zero value is trigger, but if you need something else, please describe)

Keep in mind that you must reset to an inactive value after each trigger /  before next trigger. i.e. if 0 is inactive, then after setting a non-zero value to trigger a state change, you must return to 0 before attempting the next trigger.

I can't sent a TCP or UDP command from my controller. 

Understood, not needed. WATCHPAX will be sending TCP to localhost to trigger itself, no other TCP needed.

I am working at Infocomm 2019 (USA) this week, so it will take some time before I can provide that (have it by tomorrow morning).

17 hours ago, jfk said:

It is not a built in function, you build a custom set of functions using the available tools in WATCHOUT.

Yes, I can explain it, but before I go through that exercise, need specifics so I do not have to do it multiple times.

• WATCHOUT version you are using?

I am using watchout version 6.3.1. 

• DMX universe and channel for engage mute. Value that will be sent to trigger (easiest way is if 0 value is not active, any non-zero value is trigger, but if you need something else, please describe)

DMX channel 10 universe 0. I need to change this on site. Value 0 non active, non zero active is fine.

• DMX universe and channel for release mute. Value that will be sent to trigger  (easiest way is if 0 value is not active, any non-zero value is trigger, but if you need something else, please describe)

DMX channel 11 universe 0. I need to change this on site. Value 0 non active, non zero active is fine.

Keep in mind that you must reset to an inactive value after each trigger /  before next trigger. i.e. if 0 is inactive, then after setting a non-zero value to trigger a state change, you must return to 0 before attempting the next trigger.

Understood, we will sent DMX like a pulse for 2 sec or so. 

Understood, not needed. WATCHPAX will be sending TCP to localhost to trigger itself, no other TCP needed.

I am working at Infocomm 2019 (USA) this week, so it will take some time before I can provide that (have it by tomorrow morning).

Using two DMX channels, one for mute on and one for mute off makes this way more complicated than it needs to be. Additional programming is required to support both cluster mode and production mode, using conditional layers to switch between modes (otherwise if you left both active, there would always be errors).

In production mode, you must be online for this to work.  ...

(damn forum system shrinks this image, original image)Sample1.PNG

Tween_Formula.PNG

MuteOn_string.PNG

MuteOff_string.png

for cluster mode ...

authenticate_string.PNG

Preferences_control.PNG

Use the set condition option on the cluster mode load command , like

load Sample_DMX_audio_mute_control True True 2

Preferences_conditiions.PNG

On the other hand, using a single channel, it is super simple, no special programming for production mode / cluster mode, works either way. No need to set external TCP control of production. No need to use conditions. No need to use Tasks. Works in production mode online or offline. It as simple as this ...

(damn forum system shrinks this image, original image)

SingleChannelDMX.PNG

The two shows above (without the audio file, substitute your audio file in the media window) can be downloaded from http://dataton.net/watchout/DMX_mute_stuff/SampleDMXcontrol-audio_mute.zip 

Thanks you both for you work! I still need to try it, but it looks good.

The only thing i am worrying about is the Online thing. 

In production mode, you must be online for this to work.  ...

The thing is the Watchpax will be used stand alone. There will not be a production computer. 

Will it work without a production computer? 

Yes, it will work in cluster mode providing the TCP output object is set to port 3039 as it is done in my examples. The cluster master handles the DMX communication. The online comment only relates to Production mode.

• 3 weeks later...