3 hours ago, cihaner said:

I'm asking to confirm. If my license key fails and I return the defective key to you, I only have to pay the wibu key hardware fee. I don't need to pay license fee. is this true?

Partially true. 

You are correct, as long as you return the defective key, you do not have to pay the fee for the WATCHOUT software. However, all licensed components included in WATCHOUT (mpeg decoder, AC3 decoder, etc) are charged by the physical key, those licensing fees are not transferable from one key to another. Dataton must pay those fees. Even Wibu, the hardware vendor for the key, adds licensing fees for their software protection system. So the cost is more than the simple hardware cost - there are licensing fees that must be paid by Dataton on every key Dataton enables for WATCHOUT. 

To the best of my knowledge, the current fee charged by Dataton for a damaged key swap is below cost. i.e. Dataton underwrites damaged key replacement.

16 hours ago, jfk said:

Partially true. 

You are correct, as long as you return the defective key, you do not have to pay the fee for the WATCHOUT software. However, all licensed components included in WATCHOUT (mpeg decoder, AC3 decoder, etc) are charged by the physical key, those licensing fees are not transferable from one key to another. Dataton must pay those fees. Even Wibu, the hardware vendor for the key, adds licensing fees for their software protection system. So the cost is more than the simple hardware cost - there are licensing fees that must be paid by Dataton on every key Dataton enables for WATCHOUT. 

To the best of my knowledge, the current fee charged by Dataton for a damaged key swap is below cost. i.e. Dataton underwrites damaged key replacement.

very good, one last question. Is there a warranty period regarding the license? Can I have this exchange done after the warranty period has expired, by paying the hardware cost?

On 6/12/2022 at 10:06 PM, jfk said:

The manufacturer warranty period for 3150 Dataton WATCHOUT License (USB key) is for 2 years. Warranty does not cover physical or electrical damage.

my question was; Can I replace my key with an expired warranty, physical or electrical failure, only by paying a hardware fee?

3 hours ago, RBeddig said:

Yes, you can return the broken key and buy a replacement key which will cost you something around 100 EUR. The best is probably to contact your local Premium Partner.

Thank you for your response. The license key of the watchpax I have is not working. My local Premium Partner talks to Dataton and says that they do not accept the exchange and I can get a new license with 20% discount. I don't think this is a proper approach. In addition, Dataton sells these products by writing "Built-in WATCHOUT license" or "WATCHOUT included" when selling. I would like to hear from Dataton why the change could not be made.

I also want to point out that I purchased the Watchpax as V5 and upgraded to V6.

Thank you.

You have not specified the WATCHPAX model or the WATCHOUT version you are using. This thread would have been a lot shorter if you had included that basic information.

3360 WATCHPAX and 3362 WATCHPAX 2 are the only WATCHPAX units capable of running v5.

Neither of these units as delivered is compatible with v6.6.7+. If you install those most recent versions you will encounter “License key not found”. This is noted in the WATCHOUT release notes.

Dataton will update the firmware on a WATCHPAX or WATCHPAX 2 to be compatible with v6.6.7+ at no charge. But you must return the unit to Dataton or a premium partner for the update.

If you want an official statement from Dataton, please use the support channel. The public user forum is just that.

1 hour ago, cihaner said:

I'm pretty sure the license key is corrupt. and I request a change by paying the hardware fee of the wibu key. My problem is not software update.

The protection circuit in a WATCHPAX contains a restricted non-transferable license. The price of the WATCHPAX reflects the restriction. ie literally no value is placed on the license in order to keep the hardware cost as low as is feasible.

If the license is in fact corrupt, arrange to send it in for repair. That is an extreme rare failure, it should be repairable.