Is it possible to play by receiving external TCP/IP input?

Gates kweon

9 minutes ago, Gates kweon said:

hi dear

I want to write a protocol to control the watchout externally.

I'm trying to find a way to take control from anywhere with the internet.

Thank you always for your replies.

It is quite straightforward to control WATCHOUT in cluster mode via IP. (I would not recommend production mode for connections to public networks.)

Please reference the WATCHOUT Users Guide for IP control information. Appendix C - Control Protocol

https://www.dataton.com/watchout-users-guide/appendix/c-control-protocol

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2022 at 1:16 AM, jfk said:

It is quite straightforward to control WATCHOUT in cluster mode via IP. (I would not recommend production mode for connections to public networks.)

I'm writing because I'm curious.

Why is Production Mode not recommended when controlling with external control protocols via public network?

Edited by artboy

7 hours ago, artboy said:

I'm writing because I'm curious.

Why is Production Mode not recommended when controlling with external control protocols via public network?

In Production mode, the watchpoint stations are in read/write condition. Gaining access to production allows show changes to be made. Furthermore, repeatedly going online risks unintended changes.

In cluster mode, the watchpoint stations are in read only condition. They will not change - more reliable.

During playback, as it relates to playback control in watchmaker, anything that can be done in production is supported in cluster mode. IP output, ArtNet (DMX) input / output, timecode input, MIDI input are all handled by the cluster master in cluster mode.
Also, automatic recovery of a watchpoint cluster member is only available in cluster mode. In production mode, you must send an Update to resynch a recovering watchpoint station (update is faster than offline / online). With multiple watchpoint stations, cluster members recover without intervention.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 10:53 PM, jfk said:

Also, automatic recovery of a watchpoint cluster member is only available in cluster mode. In production mode, you must send an Update to resynch a recovering watchpoint station (update is faster than offline / online). With multiple watchpoint stations, cluster members recover without intervention.

The confirmation is late. 

Thank you for your detailed reply. 

Is the meaning of 'automatic recovery of a watchpoint' correct to follow the show again when watchpoint is forced to shut down due to an error and watchpoint is re-run by watchdog?

8 hours ago, artboy said:

The confirmation is late. 

Thank you for your detailed reply. 

Is the meaning of 'automatic recovery of a watchpoint' correct to follow the show again when watchpoint is forced to shut down due to an error and watchpoint is re-run by watchdog?

Correct. A cluster member will load and re-synch automatically on its own after a watchdog restart. Only in cluster mode. Only a cluster member. If the cluster master goes down it will not recover and all members become freewheeling.