WO on 50hz for TV studios

Alex Ramos

Hello,

Any one with experience using the AMD Custom Timing Tool and the FirePro 7800?

For some reason Im can't make the card output 2x any resolution @50hz

Only if I use just one output I can get the 50hz option, when I'm with 2 screens "Sharp V600" only get the option for 60hz.

I'v emailed to AMD and they send me the AMD Custom Timing Tool, http://www.amd.com/us/products/workstation/graphics/tools/Pages/tools.aspx

But again if I create a new preset, 1280x720@50hz or 1366x768@50hz, I get an error message saying "could no apply video mode".

The monitors accept 1280x720@50hz.

WO is running on 50hz.

And the reason for the me using 50hz, is that the installation is in a TV studio running on 50hz, and I'm using HDSDI capture 1080i50hz.

Any trick to force the card giving the 50hz refresh rate?

Best regards

Alex

Thanks Jonas,

But, isn't hardware EDID managers to override a resolution, refresh rate, when the monitor is not "capable"?

In this case the monitor can take the resolution, refresh rate.

The problem is " I guess" the FirePro v7800, that when I plugin the second monitor disables the 50hz option.

Is this possible, 2x 1366x768@50hz ou 1280x720@50hz is a very low resolution, refresh rate.

A $800 VGA card MUST do this.

The must be a solution.

Alex

• Dataton Partner

Alex,

Yes, you are right, EDID managers / emulators, do just that. But you're monitors are capable of this res / framerate, but it's not their recommended EDID. I've experienced numerous times in numerous configurations, when outputting normal resolution, like 1080, the graphic cards software utility doesn't allow you to set the required resolutions even if the monitors / projector allow it without dedicated EDID's.

Using hardware EDID's is a simple, very effective and cost-efficient tool!

And even if you just want to know for sure if your card is capable of outputting multiple outputs at 50hz, using the EDID's to test this is THE way to

go. And they are cheap enough, in my PoV extreme value for money (you couldn't care less where your signal is going)

Alex,

No, that is not what they are primarily intended/used for.

In my opinion the main reason for them is to keep the EDID setup stable,

towards the graphic card/WATCHOUT side of things, independent of if

the cable distribution that is used, is connected or not.

When WATCHOUT goes into full-screen, DirectX/Direct3D mode, it reads the EDID

from the registry, bypassing what's set in Desktop or GDI mode.

If an hardware EDID Manager is used, with one, desired, resolution/refresh rate set,

this will be what would be read and kept stable.

50Hz is not a "common" refresh rate for any graphics card, 60Hz is normally preferred.

They are all designed/made in 60Hz countries...

Most of the time one have to force this. Hardware EDID Managers is the stable way to do this.

And just because the Display device of choice claims 50Hz input compatibility, it does not mean

that it actually does that internally. It might very well convert the input signal, and use 60Hz anyway.

These things has to be checked with the chosen Display device, preferably in advance.

/jonas

All my WO are driving LCD walls in TV studios.

The gold here is to make the system from end to end in 50hz in order to minimize processing, delay and increase performance.

All my captures sources are 25hz or 50hz, all media is 25hz or 50hz, WO internally at 50hz, display PC synced at 50hz via ATI S400, displays at 50hz and cameras at 1080i50hz.

Is this the right philosophy?

Even if the Sharp PN-V600 screens convert to 60hz this will not influence WO performance. (will cheek this with Sharp)

When WATCHOUT goes into full-screen, DirectX/Direct3D mode, it reads the EDID

from the registry, bypassing what's set in Desktop or GDI mode.

If an hardware EDID Manager is used, with one, desired, resolution/refresh rate set,

this will be what would be read and kept stable

From what I understood.

WO will always display at the preferred timing of the connected display !!

So if I use a EDID emulator with only one timing, lets say 1366x768 "native resolution of screen" only change the refresh rate from 60 to 50hz, this will be the signal send to the screens.

But we can chose displays resolution on stage, and refresh rate under Preferences, custom FPS.!!

How is this affecting the screens?

If the selected seeing are available we have a picture, if not we get a error message. Right?

One thing I still don't get it, why is the firepro only giving the 50hz option with one screen?

Alex

But we can chose displays resolution on stage, and refresh rate under Preferences, custom FPS.!!

How is this affecting the screens?

WATCHOUT will attempt to set the resolution and refresh rate you've set per display and in Preferences. However, it's at the mercy of the OS and display drivers to allow it to do so. Hence, the safest and most predictable is usually to set the desired resolution and refresh rate manually before starting WATCHOUT.