I can think of at least six different definitions of a “video frame”. Decimal time is unambiguous. If you want to read timeline position in video frames crate a Timeline position display in the status window, click on the time and select the video format of your choice.

39 minutes ago, jfk said:

I can think of at least six different definitions of a “video frame”. Decimal time is unambiguous. If you want to read timeline position in video frames crate a Timeline position display in the status window, click on the time and select the video format of your choice.

I can drop any video into any editing software and get the same frame count every time and get the same frame count from the other media servers. If my show is 24 fps and I am set to 24 fps and my content is 24 fps... What makes frames ambiguous?

As far as I know there is no Status for Tasks but maybe I've missed something?

On 1/13/2023 at 1:11 PM, Brian said:

…  If my show is 24 fps and I am set to 24 fps and my content is 24 fps... What makes frames ambiguous? …

Awfully big (and restrictive) “if” there. Frames become ambiguous when a show contains multiple video clips with different frame rates, which occurs quite often in WATCHOUT shows.
Video editing software is unrelated to the playback display frame rate, something WATCHOUT must deal with, and does so fairly seamlessly.

1/24 (0.042) or even 1/60 (0.017) of a second is fairly course compared to 0.001 second, which may come into play with other areas of WATCHOUT (inputs, outputs, etc). I guess such video restrictive software could introduce sub frames to become more precise, but i can not see that as easier than decimal time.

I understand the restrictive “video time” makes things easier within that focused task, but the WATCHOUT developers are dealing with a broader set of requirements.